Making your own Pizza Dough at home is relatively straight forward and not as difficult as you may think. A home-made Pizza base is much nicer than the variety which you buy ready made. It is also great fun to get the family involved in Baking and preparation of Pizza.
The key to getting a delicious, fluffy, stretchy Pizza base lies in a few key-ingredients.
- Honey to get the base to go golden
- Garlic and mixed herbs for a deeper flavour and aroma
We normally use a stand mixer to prepare the base. They work a treat and take out the hard work from kneading the dough. However ti is not essential and much better exercise without!
- Stand Mixer with a dough hook
- Rolling pin
- Glass Bowl
- Cling film
- 1 pack instant yeast (approx 2 tsp)
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1 cup warm water
- 3 cups strong white flour
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp mixed dried herbs
- Combine the yeast, salt, honey, warm water then mix well
- Add the oil.
- Then add 1 cup of the flour
- Start your mixer on a low speed to mix everything.
- Once everything is mixed, add the garlic and dried herbs.
- Then add the second cup of flour and start the mixer again
- Add the rest of the flour
- Continue mixing until you have a dough that is bouncy and springy
- Remove the dough from the mixer and place in an oiled bowl
Rest the dough in a warm place
- Cover the glass bowl with cling film
- Place the bowl in a warm area for 2 hours (for example in an airing cupboard, or on a chair outside a warm oven)
- The dough should double in size
Roll the dough
- Split your dough into the required size piece depending on the size of Pizza you are making.
- Roll on a floured work surface
- Top first with your Pizza Sauce (coming soon)
- Then add a think layer of cheese
- Then your toppings
- Then a final layer of cheese
- Bake for 20-25 minutes
Jessica on March 11, 2016:
This is my go to pizza base! You can't even buy them this good!! Thank you for a fabulous recipe.
tastiger04 on July 23, 2013:
This looks delicious!! I've never tried my hand at pizza dough before....but I may have to start! Thanks for sharing :) I voted up and useful
fc on October 26, 2012:
does it taste yum? :) and what does the oven get set to?
hubrecipe (author) from United Kingdom on August 22, 2012:
Strong white flour is specific for making breads and pizza bases..you might also see it as Pizza flour.
DAC on August 21, 2012:
What do you mean by strong flour?
hubrecipe (author) from United Kingdom on August 11, 2012:
Yes it should work if there is a dough setting. Try and let me know :)
Meg on August 11, 2012:
Can this be made in bread machine? Thanks.
hubrecipe (author) from United Kingdom on April 25, 2012:
Yes it does rise in the oven
tina on April 24, 2012:
is it supposed to rise again in the oven? mine was very flat after rolling it out.
hubrecipe (author) from United Kingdom on March 06, 2012:
2 medium sized pizzas
Rebekah on March 05, 2012:
Looks like a good recipe. How many pizzas does it make?
couturepopcafe on January 19, 2012:
Thanks for the tip about brushing olive oil onto the crust when done! Great pictures.
hubrecipe (author) from United Kingdom on November 13, 2011:
350f or 180c
krammy on November 12, 2011:
At what temperature should it be baked?
rockdresses from Turkey on September 01, 2011:
It looks so delicious~ :)
Silva Hayes from Spicewood, Texas on August 22, 2011:
Beautiful! I will add honey to mine next time. Thanks so much!
RedElf from Canada on August 22, 2011:
Nicely done and well laid out!