A university student who loves writing, reading, researching cooking, baking and travelling.
A look at the history of Parfait!
Parfait is a french word which means "perfect". The dessert originated around 1890 in France. It was initially known as "frozen custard" as people used to randomly add the ingredients and enjoy it chilled. Then, Parfait came to America where people made it in a clear glass with layering technique.
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
Serves 8 people
- 1 packet vanilla custard powder
- 1 litre milk
- 1 tablespoon corn flour
- As per taste sugar
- 200g chocolate
- 3 eggs, (room temperate)
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cooking oil
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- chocolate chip cookies crumbs
- 1 cup chilled whipping cream
- icing sugar(for whipping cream)
- Prepare Pudding/ Custard: In a pan, pour milk, add the sugar as per your taste and bring it to a boil. Take a cup, add instant custard powder (Vanilla flavor) and whisk it with some milk. Make sure to remove all the lumps! Once the milk gets boiled, pour the prepared custard mixture in batches while continuously whisking the milk (1-2 minutes). Take another cup, mix cornflour with water and then pour the mixture into your pan while continuously whisking it until it thickens a little bit (1-2 minutes). The pudding is ready. Bring it to room temperature, whisking it in between. Then, place it in a fridge for 1 hour and let it settle. Once chilled, gently fold 200g of freshly cut chocolate pieces with the pudding/ custard.
- Bake the Chocolate cake: Whisk three eggs with one cup of powdered sugar in a bowl. Once mixed, pour 1/2 cup vegetable/cooking oil into two batches and whisk it together. Next, add 1 cup of All-Purpose flour in batches and whisk it well making sure no lumps are there. Then, add baking powder and cocoa powder. Then, grease a cake pan with oil/melted butter, line it with a baking sheet/parchment paper, pour the prepared batter and bake it at 300-350 degrees Fahrenheit for 25-30 minutes. Once the cake is baked, let it cool on a cooling rack. Once cooled, crumble the cake.
- Place 5-6 chocolate chip cookies into a zip-lock bag and crush them coarsely with a rolling pin and set aside.
- Whip the Cream: Pour 1 cup of chilled whipping cream and add the icing sugar (as per taste) batch-wise while continuously whipping it with a hand mixer until stiff peaks are obtained (3-5 minutes). Transfer it to a pipping bag
- Assembling: In a serving cup, make the bottom-most layer of crushed chocolate chip cookies, then a layer of prepared pudding/custard, then a layer of chocolate cake crumbs, and then pipe a layer of whipped cream. Lastly, decorate it with some chocolate sticks/pieces.
- Your outclass dessert is ready, Place it in a refrigerator for 30 minutes and enjoy.
© 2022 Syeda Aala