Top 3 Asian Recipes
Sushi is one of the most popular dishes in Japan today, and in Korea, you will likely hear about Kimchi, while China has Dim sum. Satay is the most popular dish in Indonesia and many other South Eastern parts of Asia. This recipe collection explains the cooking methods and ingredients used to make the most popular Asian dishes in the world today.
Recipe 1: Sushi Recipe (Japan)
If you ask a non-Asian about their favorite Asian dish, they will probably tell you “Sushi.”
Preparation time: 35 minutes
- 100g of sushi rice
- 1 sheet of Nori seaweed
- 2 tablespoons of sushi vinegar
- 4 drops of soy sauce
- Sushi ginger
- Optional roasted white sesame seeds
For the filling, you need the following;
- Raw Sashimi grade tuna
- Raw sashimi-grade salmon
- Crab sticks
- Canned tuna mixed with some mayo, and
- Prepare the Japanese sushi rice by cooking it after mixing it with sushi rice vinegar.
- Prepare the rolling mat by laying out the sushi preparation area with the Makisu rolling mat.
- Place a sheet of the Nori seaweed o the Makisu rolling mat, then cover two-thirds of the seaweed with your sushi rice at up to 1cm in height.
- Add the remaining ingredients (well chopped and diced) in a line and at the center on top of your sushi rice. Remember, you don’t have to use all these ingredients. You may choose salmon, mayonnaise, and tuna, for instance.
- Cut your sushi rolls into 6 or 8 pieces, then serve with sushi ginger, soy sauce, and Wasabi. You may want to get green tea too.
Recipe #2: Steamed Spare Ribs with Black Beans Dim Sum (China)
Chinese Dim Sum comes in varieties, but one of the most popular is the steamed spared ribs with black beans.
Preparation time: 8 hours 10 minutes
- 1 (450g) pork ribs cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 teaspoons of sugar
- 1 ½ teaspoon of salt
- 1 tablespoon of Shaoxing wine(any alternative)
- 1 teaspoon of sesame oil
- ¼ teaspoon of white pepper(ground)
- 2 tablespoons of cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons of water
- 2 tablespoons of chopped hot green peppers
- 2 tablespoons of chopped hot red pepper
- One tablespoon of rinsed, Chinese fermented black beans.
- Get a bowl, and inside it, place the ribs alongside the salt, sugar, sesame oil, wine, and white pepper. Mix thoroughly to coat the ribs. Cover the mix and let it marinate overnight to get the best result, or let it marinate for about 30 minutes if you are short of time. Add the cornstarch plus the water to the marinated ribs.
- Transfer the ribs to a heat-proof plate before steaming, preferably the dim sum plate. Once you place the ribs on a plate, sprinkle the fermented beans and peppers.
- Bring a little water to simmer inside a wok or metal simmer while setting a rack set at the bottom. Place the plates containing the ribs onto the simmer and then cover and steam it for about 10 minutes or when the ribs start to turn opaque. You can serve this as dim sum or a separate meal.
Recipe #3: Chicken Satay (South East Asia)
Chicken Satay is one of the finest ways Asian people enjoy their chicken.
Preparation time: 1 hour 25 minutes
- 4 boneless and skinless chicken parts sliced into ½” thick strips
- 1 cup of low-sodium soy
- ½ a cup of chopped cilantro
- For the Cilantro dipping sauce, you need the following
- 1 cup washed cilantro
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 whole scallions
- ¼ cup of lime juice
- 2 tablespoons of sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon salt.
- Get a small mixing bowl, add the soy sauce plus the cilantro, and mix well.
- Add the chicken and cover them well in the liquid mix before covering and refrigerating for about an hour. Make your sauces while the chicken is marinated.
- Skewer the chicken for cooking but try and soak the wooden skewers in water for about 30 minutes to prevent burning of the chicken while cooking.
- Heat the cast iron grill pan for about 5 minutes over medium heat until it starts showing smoke.
- Spray some cooking spray on the grill top before placing the skewers onto the grill. Cook for about on each side and take the internal temperature. It would be best to stop cooking when the internal temperature reaches 165F degrees.
- Serve with the cilantro dipping sauce and garnish with any leftover cilantro if necessary.
To make your Cilantro sauce, get your blender and put it inside your dipping sauce ingredients. Pause the ingredients until smooth, and add water until the sauce attains consistency.