|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
5 cups (Approx 1 13" x 9" casserole dish)
This classic Tex-Mex enchilada sauce recipe combines the smoky, bold flavors of Gebhardt's chili powder and other spices to create a traditional brown chili gravy that can be used to make Texas Chili Enchiladas or several other Tex-Mex meals.
PLEASE NOTE : This recipe requires the use of a stove top and oven. Cook at your own risk and caution to temperatures, or fire that may cause burns or harm. Always use oven mitts when handling hot pots, pans and casserole dishes to prevent burns.
For the Texas Chili Enchilada Sauce:
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, or vegetable/canola oil substitute
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, or salt substitute
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprike
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons chili powder, preferably Gebhardt's Chili Powder
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 5 cups low-sodium beef broth, or substitute low-sodium chicken/vegetable broth
WHAT YOU WILL NEED: Stovetop, Medium Sized Pot, Whisk, Measuring Cup, Measuring Spoons, Wooden Spoon
- To make a roux, heat the 1/4 cup unsalted butter in a medium sized pot at medium heat. Whisk in the 1/4 cup of all purpose flour and stir until lightly browned and fragrant for about one minute. Stovetop - Medium Heat, 1 min
- Whisk or stir in all the seasonings (salt, pepper, nutmeg, sugar, onion powder, garlic powder, smoked paprika, dried oregano, ground cumin, and chili powder) until well combined with the flour and butter. Continue stirring on low to medium heat for 2-3 minutes. Stovetop - Low Heat, 3 min.
- Pour 2 1/2 cups of the low-sodium beef broth into the pot with the roux. Continue whisking until well combined for about one minute. Add 2 tablespoons of tomato paste and continue whisking or stirring until all ingredients are well combined. Stovetop - Low Heat, 3 min
- Pour in remaining 2 1/2 cups of the low-sodium beef broth into the pot. Whisk one minute or until well-combined. Continue simmering sauce on low heat until thickened approximately 10 to 15 minutes. Remove from heat. Set aside. Stovetop - Low Heat, 10-15 min.
This content is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge and is not meant to substitute for formal and individualized advice from a qualified professional.
© 2022 Kraftpunk