Best Tarka Daal
Please Rate This Curry If You Like It.
Split Peas Curry
Dried peas are packed with fibre and help to low cholesterol. One of the special benefits of peas are to manage blood sugar disorders. In Pakistan and India every house keeps all types of dried peas and usually cook them twice a week. Tarka daal is on top of all other dried pea curry. Whenever you go to restaurants you might have seen it on their menu. They serve it with plain rice or naan. Its not only healthy but tastes awesome.
Personally I love lentils and peas. My kitchen always have all kind of peas and lentils. Whenever I am out of meat and vegetable they comes very handy.
I have also added left over cooked meat in it, in last 15 minutes of cooking. You can cook any peas alone or mixed with this method.
|Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
1 hour 15 min
1 hour 15 min
Serves 4 People
- 1 cup Split yellow peas(Chana Daal)
- 1/4 cup Mung daal yellow
- 1/4 cup urid daal washed
- 1 tsp salt
- 1tsp red chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 6 dried red pepper
- 1 tsp cumin seed
- 2 Fresh Green Chillies, Chopped
- 5tbsp Oil
- 1 tbsp Fresh garlic., Chopped
- Mix all three daal and soak them if you have time, you can soak it minimum 1 hour and maximum over night. If you do not have time then leave this step, it will take a liitle longer to cook unsoaked peas.
- Now put them in a pan, and add about 4 cups of water.
- Add salt, chilli and turmeric powder. Let it cook on low heat for about 45 minutes.
- Check if water is gone too low then you can add more boiling water into it. Otherwise let it simmer untill it reaches to your desired consistency. It should be thick, not liquidy like soup.
- Now add oil in a pan and add crushed garlic in it, when its light brown then add cumin seeds and fresh green chillies.
- Oil will be very hot so carefully add it in cooked curry. It will make noise, you should be on good distance while adding oil in daal.
- Turn your heat off, sprinkle some fresh coriander or mint if you have. You can keep this curry in fridge for 4 to 5 days. Enjoy