With its luscious berry flavour, this traditional Strawberry Banana Smoothie recipe never goes out of style.
The very first smoothie, in my opinion, was a strawberry banana smoothie.
I first used a Vitamix when my mother purchased one. We had never owned a blender before, so learning how to operate one and all the interesting things you can create in one was a blast.
We frequently had a large supply of frozen strawberries from our gardens. So over the winter, strawberry banana smoothies were popular in our home. They truly are the ideal smoothie for fresh berry flavour all year long. In this recipe, you can use fresh or frozen fruit, depending on what you have on hand.
3 cups frozen or fresh strawberries, 12 ounces
1 banana, fresh or frozen, peeled and broken into chunks
1/2 cup Greek yogurt, or dairy free yogurt of choice
1/4 cup milk of choice, I use unsweetened vanilla almond milk
1/2 teaspoon vanila extract
1/8 teaspoon almond extract
Place all the ingredients into the blender with the frozen ingredients on top.
The first thing we should discuss is what goes into this Strawberry Banana Smoothie.
• Strawberries: Depending on what you have, you can add fresh or frozen strawberries. Frozen strawberries are preferable to unripe, out-of-season fresh berries. If you use fresh berries, try substituting frozen bananas because smoothies require something frozen.
• Bananas - use either fresh or frozen, like I recommended with strawberries. Just make sure something is frozen for the best texture in your smoothie.
• Yogurt - Greek yoghurt is our favourite, but you can substitute any other dairy-free yoghurt you choose. Simply adding a little additional milk of your choice is another option. Because it adds so much flavour and richness to dairy-free dishes, I prefer to use canned coconut milk.
• For dairy-free milk, I've been enjoying the Malk brand recently because they don't use any additives. For the added vanilla flavour, I enjoy purchasing any of the unsweetened vanilla nut milks. But you can use any kind of milk in this recipe!
• Vanilla and almond extracts: This smoothie is made tempting with only a hint of each. You can omit the almond extract, though, if you don't like it. I only use a small quantity. the berry flavour is enhanced without tasting like almond extract.
Start by measuring/prepping all of your ingedients.
Add the ingredients to the blender with the frozen items on top for easier blending.
Blend until smooth and enjoy right away