I like to cook and eat natural, healthy, and tasty foods, and I enjoy sharing recipes from my native Indian cuisine.
Homemade Garlic Pickle
Use Garlic Daily for Better Health
Why Garlic Pickle? How to Make it at Home :
Garlic pickle is pungent and aromatic. While peeling the cloves, lightly grease your fingers with oil to avoid the lingering bad smell of raw garlic. I made a small quantity of this pickle. You can make a larger quantity by multiplying the quantity of the ingredients according to your needs.
Having garlic pickle at home has many advantages. It makes the meal enjoyable. It also helps you to maintain good health as the ingredients used for making this pickle are nutritious and have medicinal properties. I used garlic, lemon juice, fenugreek seeds, mustard seeds, mustard oil, cumin seeds, red chili powder, turmeric powder, asafoetida/hing powder, some jaggery powder, and salt. If you look at the ingredients, you will be sure that this pickle is a healthy choice for anyone.
This home-made pickle takes about a week to set. Hence, use it after a week. Garlic pickle stays fresh for 3 months if stored in a glass jar or container. Place it in a cool and dry place. No need to refrigerate.
Keeping this pickle on your dining table is a wonderful idea. You can use a bit of it daily to tickle your taste buds.
Now, let me share the detailed recipe.
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
A cup of garlic pickle
Ingredients for Making Garlic Pickle
- 3/4 cup garlic cloves, skin removed, small cloves preferred, if big, cut them lengthwise into two.
- 3-4 tablespoons mustard oil, or coconut oil
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 2 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 1/2 tablespoons red chili powder
- 1 teaspoon or less powdered jaggery, I used half a teaspoon jaggery
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, or as per taste
- 2 1/2 teaspoons mustard seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon fenugreek seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon coriander seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon hing/asafoetida powder
- In a heated deep bottomed pan, add 2 tsp mustard seeds, fenugreek (methi) seeds, cumin seeds, coriander seeds, and asafoetida (hing) powder. Just warm them. Turn off the heat.
- Grind them to get a fine powder. Keep aside.
- In the same pan, add mustard oil. Turn on the stove. Throw in half a teaspoon of mustard seeds. Let it pop up. Add garlic cloves.
- Saute them on a very low fire for 6 minutes or until they become golden brown. Add turmeric powder. Mix well.
- Now, add lemon juice. Let the mixture boil for two minutes. Add chili powder. Mix well.
- Add powdered jaggery. Let the mixture boil and combine well with the other contents in the pan.
- Throw in salt. Stir once. Add ground spice mixture. Saute for a minute. Turn off the stove. Keep the pan aside for cooling.
- When it cools down, store the pickle in a glass jar. Consume it after a week. This pickle stays fresh for 3 months. No need to refrigerate.
- Eat this yummy garlic pickle as a side dish for meals! Enjoy the taste.
ShailaSheshadri (author) from Bengaluru on September 19, 2017:
Thank you. You are right. This garlic pickle is spicy and a bit sweet too. For the sour taste, I have used lemon juice. Overall, it is a healthy and tasty pickle.
peachy from Home Sweet Home on September 19, 2017:
Wow, this is different version of garlic pickle. I had read vinegar garlic pickle but yours is the spicy version. More of alike sambal aka spicy paste