Shwetha Bhat is passionate about food and cooking. She loves to experiment in the kitchen and share her recipes.
About Masala Rice
Masala rice or spiced rice recipe requires very small effort to make flavorful and tasty rice.Here the rice is infused with spices and with loads of vegetables. Easy and best method to satisfy your spice cravings with very basic ingredients. More flavorful compared to regular pulao.
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
Serves 2 people 1 cup of rice
- 1 onion, medium sized
- 1 tomato, medium sized
- 1 carrot, small sized
- 4-5 fresh beans
- 1/2 green capsicum
- 1 potato, medium sized
- handful of mint leaves
- 1/2 cup fresh peas, or use frozen peas
- 1 inch long cinnamon
- 6-7 black pepper, or adjust as per your spice level
- 2-3 cloves
- 1-2 cardamom
- 1 cup rice, i used sonamasoori rice
- 1-2 teaspoons ghee, or use oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 2 teaspoons sambar powder, home made or store brought
- 2 cups water, or as required
- salt to taste
How to make masala rice
- Chop all the vegetables required. Here I used onion, carrots, tomato, capsicum, beans and potatoes. Keep aside.
- Pluck and clean handful of mint leaves. Keep aside.
- Shell peas (or use frozen peas). Keep aside.
- In a frying pan take 1 inch long cinnamon, 6-7 black pepper, 2-3 cloves and 1-2 cardamom. Fry for a minute in medium flame. Switch off the flame.
- Make it into powder and keep aside.
- Wash 1 cup of rice. Drain water and keep aside.
- In a cooker take 2 spoons of ghee. Once ghee is hot add 1 teaspoon of cumin seeds. let it splutter.
- Add chopped onions, fry till translucent.
- Add chopped tomatoes, fry till it shrinks.
- Add all chopped vegetables, peas and mint leaves. Fry for 2 minutes.
- Now add ground spice powder and sambar powder. Stir to coat vegetables with powders.
- Add washed rice. Fry and mix well with vegetables and spice powders.
- Add 2 cups of water. Add salt as per taste.
- Close the lid of pressure cooker and take 3 whistles. Switch off the flame.
- When pressure releases naturally open the lid and give a quick mix.
- Serve hot with raita of your choice and enjoy.
How to make spicy masala rice with step by step photo
- You can increase the quantity of black pepper and sambar powder accroding to your spice tolerance.
- I used sona masoori rice here. You can use jeera rice, basmati rice or any rice variety of your choice.
- I used home made sambar powder here. You can store brought too.
- Quantity of water depends of the variety of rice. Here I used 1:2 rice and water ratio.
- You can use any vegetables of your choice.
- You can add ginger garlic paste too to make this rice more flavorful.
- You can replace the sambar powder with 1 teaspoon of red chili powder and 1/2 teaspoon of garam masala powder.
- This recipe can be prepared in open pot too.
- You can make this recipe in left over rice too. Just season and cook the vegetables with spices, mix the leftover rice and it is done.
- You can soak the rice for 15 minutes to fasten the cooking.