I love writing and creating in the kitchen, especially chili, curry, stews, coffee beverages, and smoothies.
Two Uncommon Ways to Enjoy Your Coffee
Two delicious beverages, one served hot and one served cold, can be created by combining coffee with flavors that have an affinity for each other; cinnamon, cardamom, chocolate, and cola.
Spiced Mocha latte
This is very quick and easy to put together. It combines the complimentary flavors of coffee, cocoa, and warm spices, and can be prepared in less than five minutes. It is a healthy start to the day, which will provide protein from the milk, a cognitive boost from the caffeine, and a variety of antioxidants from the cocoa (To'ak, 2021) and coffee (Noonan, 2018). Cinnamon will add complimentary flavor and can also help with blood glucose regulation (Mandal, et al, 2021).
- 16 oz. whole or 2% milk
- 1 tbsp. instant coffee or two shots of hot espresso
- 2 tbsp. of unsweetened cocoa powder or a high quality cocoa mix.
- 1/8 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp. ground cardamon
- Honey to taste.
Gently heat milk in a heavy bottomed pan over low heat. You can also make this quicker by microwaving the milk for three minutes.
- Stir in high quality instant coffee or one or two shots of hot espresso.
- Stir in high quality Cocoa mix or Unsweetened dark cocoa. A whisk will work better than a spoon for mixing, particularly if you are using unsweetened cocoa powder.
- Stir in cinnamon and cardamon.
- Add honey to taste.
- Serve hot in a wide 16 oz. mug.
My favorite high quality cocoa mixes are Land O' Lakes Chocolate Supreme, Stephan's Dark chocolate or Milk Chocolate. My favorite high quality instant coffees are Medaglia D'Ora's, and Juan Valdez Premium instant coffee.
A healthy hot beverage
Spiced Mocha Latte is a healthy start to the day, which will provide protein from the milk, a cognitive boost from the caffeine, and a variety of antioxidants from the cocoa and coffee. Cinnamon can also help with blood glucose regulation.
Ice coffee and cola have an affinity for each other. The bitterness of the coffee balances the sweetness of the cola. I recommend using a good craft cola, which uses cane sugar instead of High Fructose Corn Syrup, which among other problems, leaves a cloying aftertaste.
- Tall glass of ice.
- 12 oz. high quality craft cola.
- 1 tbsp. high quality instant coffee or two shots of hot espresso.
- Half and half or light cream to taste.
- A dash of cinnamon and/or cardamom, optional.
- Fill a tall glass with ice.
- Add tbsp. of instant coffee, or two shots of hot espresso.
- Fill with a high quality micro-brewed Cola. Pour slowly if you used instant coffee, as the head will come up fast.
- Add cream or half and half to taste.
- Add a sprinkle of cinnamon and/or cardamom if desired.
Yield: 1 serving
High quality microbrewed colas include Boylan.
My favorite high quality instant coffees are Medaglia D'Ora's, and Juan Valdez Premium instant coffee.
Juan Valdez Classic Instant Coffee
Mandal, A., Sharma, S., Rani, R., Ranjan, S., Kant, R., & Mirza, A. (2021). Impact of Cassia Bark Consumption on Glucose and Lipid Control in Type 2 Diabetes: An Updated Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis. Cureus, 13(7), e16376. https://doi.org/10.7759/cureus.16376
Noonan, D. (2018). The Healthy Addiction? Coffee Study Finds More Health Benefits. Scientific American. Available: https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/the-healthy-addiction-coffee-study-finds-more-health-benefits/
To'Ak. (2018). Theobromine and the Performance-Enhancing Properties of Cacao & Dark Chocolate. To'Ak. Available: https://toakchocolate.com/blogs/news/performance-enhancing-properties-of-dark-chocolate
About the Author
David A. Porter is a psychotherapist, college instructor, and writer who covers topics in behavioral science, neuroscience, and cuisine.
This content is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge and does not substitute for diagnosis, prognosis, treatment, prescription, and/or dietary advice from a licensed health professional. Drugs, supplements, and natural remedies may have dangerous side effects. If pregnant or nursing, consult with a qualified provider on an individual basis. Seek immediate help if you are experiencing a medical emergency.
© 2021 David A Porter