Lena Kovadlo is a writer for various content-sharing websites. She's an author of 12 books and helps other authors publish theirs.
Seaweed is rich in iodine, which is a necessary nutrient. It is used in Asian cuisine, in countries such as Japan.
If you ever go to a Japanese restaurant what you will find in the appetizer section of their menu is seaweed salad.
I love eating seaweed salad. It is delicious and something different. I usually eat it with chopsticks. It is more fun and makes picking up the seaweed strands easier.
You don't have to go to a Japanese restaurant to enjoy some seaweed salad. You can make it at home. You only need a few ingredients, one of which is salted seaweed stem. If you can't find it at your local supermarket you can definitely find it online.
Below you will find a seaweed salad recipe. It is easy to make and tastes great. Don't hesitate to give it a try.
- salted seaweed stem
- roasted sesame seeds
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar salad dressing
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- Remove the salted seaweed stem from the packaging, place into a colander and wash off the salt under running water. Then place the seaweed into a bowl, fill with water and soak for about ten minutes. When ten minutes are up pour out the water from bowl, add fresh water into the bowl and soak again. When you feel that the seaweed is no longer very salty you are now ready to make the salad. Before making the salad though drain the seaweed in a colander and rinse. If you feel that the seaweed is still very salty keep soaking it in water. Be sure to change the water in the bowl with fresh water if you choose to do so.
- Remove the seaweed onto a cutting board. Separate the strands and cut each strand into about 2-inch length. Place into a salad bowl.
- Add two tablespoons of sesame oil and one tablespoon of rice vinegar salad dressing to the seaweed. Then sprinkle with roasted sesame seeds and stir.
- You are now ready to enjoy the seaweed salad.
If you love seaweed you will love fried seaweed stems...
- Fried Seaweed Stems
Fried seaweed stems are a very taste dish that you won't get enough of it. It is also very healthy for you as seaweed is rich in iodine, which is a necessary nutrient to have in your diet.
© 2012 Lena Kovadlo
Lena Kovadlo (author) from Staten Island, NY on January 31, 2016:
You can use any other fresh seaweed.
Pinja on January 09, 2016:
Is there any other seaweed type i can use? I can't seem to find salted seaweed stems
Lena Kovadlo (author) from Staten Island, NY on September 28, 2012:
There are always training chopsticks you can use lol. Eating with chopsticks is much more fun than using a fork and sometimes it is easier lol like when you are eating seaweed or pasta.
rauffray from BC, Canada on August 13, 2012:
No matter how hard I've tried, I have not learned to use chopsticks. But your featured salad does look good and healthy. Thank you for sharing, Lena.
Graham Gifford from New Hamphire on August 13, 2012:
Seaweed salad is one f my MOST favorite snacks! Thanks for posting it - it reminds me to make some!