Rajan loves cooking dishes from his native Indian cuisine. He enjoys sharing his favourite recipes with his online readers.
Schezwan Fried Rice
Schezwan fried rice is an Indo-Chinese vegetarian fried rice dish prepared with boiled rice and stir-fried vegetables. A not so hot and yummy dish with the flavor of a variety of spices, it can be prepared in two ways: with last night's leftover rice or with uncooked rice.
In this recipe, we are going to use the second method of using uncooked rice - first boiling the rice and then making this schezwan fried rice. We will use Ching's secret Schezwan fried rice masala instead of individual spices and use a combination of seasonal and frozen vegetables. You can use any veggies of your choice, frozen or fresh.
We have used bell pepper, carrot, green peas and sweet corn in this recipe but you can skip or add any veggies you wish. Vegetables are good for our well being and you can read in my article, the health benefits of green peas, one such ingredient used in this recipe.
With a host of options, this is one, healthy, as well as yummy, dish you ought to prepare and believe me you will love it. It tastes delicious with any sauce you prefer to pair it with or just by itself.
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
- 3 tbsp oil
- 1.5 cups rice, soaked for 30 minutes in water
- 1 bell pepper medium sized, deseeded and chopped into samll pieces
- 1 carrot medium sized, peeled and chopped into small pieces
- 2 tbsp frozen corn
- 2 tbsp frozen green peas
- 1 tbsp ginger garlic paste
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 pouch chings secret schezwan fried rice masala, 20 grams net weight
- 1 to 1.25 liter water
- Add water to a kadhai/wok, keep the heat on high and let the water come to a boil. Now add the rice, a tsp of oil and salt. Stir and cover with a lid. Keep the heat on low. Cook the rice till it is three-fourths cooked. Check the rice a couple of times in between
- The rice should be done in 5-7 minutes. Transfer the rice to a colander and let the water drain out in a vessel kept under it
- We will saute the vegetables now. Clean the kadhai and add oil to it and let it heat up
- Reduce heat to low and add the ginger garlic paste. Stirring constantly saute till it turns light brown, about 30-40 seconds
- Raise heat to medium and add all the veggies and the schezwan fried rice masala. Stir fry the veggies for about 2 minutes. If you are taking fresh veggies you will need to fry them a bit longer time but ensure they remain crunchy
- Add the rice and mix well. Cover with a lid and cook them on low heat for about 5-6 minutes till the rice is fully cooked. The veggies ought to be crunchy even at this point
- Remove to a serving plate and serve with plain yogurt, Manchurian or with any dish you like or even as is
Schezwan Fried Rice Recipe Using Chings Secret Schezwan Fried Rice Masala
© 2018 Rajan Singh Jolly
Rajan Singh Jolly (author) from From Mumbai, presently in Jalandhar, INDIA. on August 02, 2018:
I hope you try this recipe. Thank you, Peggy.
Peggy Woods from Houston, Texas on August 02, 2018:
This sounds delicious! Thanks for your recipe.
Rajan Singh Jolly (author) from From Mumbai, presently in Jalandhar, INDIA. on July 24, 2018:
You're welcome Bill. Thank you!
Bill Holland from Olympia, WA on July 24, 2018:
Bev will love this. Thank you Rajan!