Shwetha Bhat is passionate about food and cooking. She loves to experiment in the kitchen and share her recipes.
Rava rotti or sooji rotti recipe
Rava rotti is tasty and healthy. Light on stomach but quite filling, so ideal for breakfast. Goes very well with any simple chutney. Soft and crisp. Very tasty and quick to make. This dish is very good alternative to akki rotti or rice rotti. Instant, healthy and yummy. No fermentation required. Different from normal dosa.
There are many variations of making semolina rotti. You can make it plain, spicy or sweet too. You can add vegetables of your choice like cucumber, carrot, onion, capsicum, dill leaves and so on. You can make batter more thicker and pat rotti on banana leaf, then roast on tawa. Any ways it tastes very good.
Sooji or semolina is called as sajjige in Mangalore and Udupi region and this dish is called sajjige rotti.
Semolina is high in protein and fiber. It slows digestion and increases the feeling of fullness in between meals. It is also a good source of iron and magnesium which supports red blood cell production, heart health and controls blood sugar level.
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
Serves 2 people 1 cup of semolina
- 1 cup fine variety semolina or sooji, or use coarse variety rava
- 2/3 cup water, to soak rava
- 1/3 cup curd
- salt to taste
- 1-2 medium sized onions, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 inch long ginger, finely chopped
- 1-2 green chilies, finely chopped
- 2-3 tablespoons fresh coriander leaves, finely chopped
- 3-4 tablespoons fresh coconut, grated
- 3-4 teaspoons cooking oil, to grease tawa
- 3-4 teaspoons ghee, to sprinkle on dosa
- In a bowl or vessel, add 1 cup of fine variety semolina or chiroti rava (coarse variety rava can also be used).
- Add 2/3 cup of water. You can see semolina absorbs water immediately.
- Add 1/3 cup of curd. Mix properly without forming lumps. Add salt to taste.
- To this batter add 1-2 finely chopped onions, 1 teaspoon cumin seeds, 1 inch long finely chopped fresh ginger, 1-2 finely chopped green chilies, 2-3 tablespoons finely chopped fresh coriander leaves and 3-4 tablespoons of grated fresh coconut. Mix everything to form thick batter without adding water.
- Cover and keep aside for 15-20 minutes or until semolina soaked well and batter thickens. (you can keep it for more time too). Batter should be thicker than idli batter.
- Heat tawa, grease oil. Add 3-4 tablespoons of batter. Spread batter on tawa using wet fingers to prevent from burning (keep flame low). Spread rotti as thin as possible.
- Sprinkle some drops of ghee on rotti. Close the lid and cook on medium flame for a minute or till rotti cooked properly.
- Flip and cook on other side too till golden spots appear on rotti.
- Repeat the procedure for all batter.
- Serve hot with any chutney or butter.
How to make semolina or rava rotti with step by step photo
- You can add finely chopped curry leaves too.
- Don't skip adding coconut and curd as it makes rotti soft and tasty.
- After preparing batter, don't make rottis immediately. Resting of batter is essential to absorb all water.
- If you feel it difficult in spreading batter on tawa, wet your hands with water and again spread. Keep a bowl full of water ready for this and use while making rotti.
- If you still face problem in patting, use ladle to spread batter like dosa.