One of my hobbies other than music is to cook different types of foods that are not just quick but also delicious at the same time!
CHICKEN BROCCOLI CASSEROLE
Are you running out of dinner ideas? Do you want to cook something simple and delicious? What about a food that contains a meat, vegetable, and starch all in one? If you said yes to all of these questions, then you’re in luck!
This chicken broccoli casserole recipe is not just delicious, but it doesn’t take that long to cook. How does approximately 30 minutes sound? Just as good as this casserole, right?
*This recipe calls for a large cast iron skillet with cover or any cover that isn’t too small
*When preparing, do NOT use cast iron skillet until step 1 under DIRECTIONS
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
Serves about 6 people
Ingredients (stars (*) are additional information)
- 2 chicken breasts, cut into small cubes *Use meat tenderizer to make chopping easier
- 2 cups broccoli florets, *the microwavable are okay to use just follow the instructions on the package then set aside
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 small onion, fresh or frozen *I used frozen and measured out the amount for a small onion
- 3/4 cup rice, uncooked
- 3 cups (24 oz) chicken broth, low sodium
- 10 ounces (1 can) cream of chicken soup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, minced *chopped is also okay if you want the garlic slightly bigger
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon parsley, chopped *fresh or in container
Instructions (stars (*) are additional information
- Heat the olive oil in the skillet, then add the onion and chicken. On medium heat, cook until the chicken browns a little
- Season with salt and pepper, then stir in garlic and cook for about 20-30 seconds
- Add the rice, chicken broth, and cream of chicken. Bring to boil, reduce heat, cover, and cook on medium until the rice is fully cooked (about 15 minutes) *Add more rice if needed (I had to add more) *Taste a little afterwards to see if the seasoning is to your liking
- Add the broccoli and HALF of the cheese and cook until broccoli is soft, then turn off heat and sprinkle remaining cheese on top and cover until it melts. Lastly, garnish with parsley *If you're a cheese fan like me, you can add more cheese than just the remaining half
There you have it! The secret to a simple dish that will be sure to save you time because I know it did for me. I served this dish with a bread roll as the side. I used Hawaiian rolls which have a sweetish taste and went well with this entree.
Feel free to add another vegetable, use a different cheese, or maybe even add more of your own seasonings. One of the fun things about cooking is the experimentation part, so use your own creativeness when making the dish! (Or you know, make it the original way which is just fine ;) )
© 2019 Ayainah Brown