Rajan loves cooking dishes from his native Indian cuisine. He enjoys sharing his favourite recipes with his online readers.
Wadis or wadiyan are spiced, sun dried dumplings, made from ground lentils. Somewhat meaty in texture as well as in taste these dumplings are a great substitute for meat and also the not so healthy soy chunks that we get in India.
Punjabi Wadi chawal is a delicious, flavorful and nutritious Punjabi rice recipe, this Wadi chawal is a delicious wholesome meal as well. Made with aromatic whole as well as ground spices, wadiyan and rice, preferably long grain rice like Basmati.
Pair this Punjabi wadi rice with plain dahi/yoghurt or any raita to complete a wholesome meal and serve.
Try this traditional dish from the Punjabi cuisine of India & give your feedback.
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
(for frying the wadiyan):
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 cup punjabi or amritsari moong dal wadiyan
(for making the masala):
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 tsp jeera/cumin seeds
- 1 tej patta/bay leaf
- 1 whole dry red chilli
- 1-2 small pieces of dalchini/cinnamon
- 7-8 kali mirch/peppercorns
- 5 cloves
- 2 medium-sized onions, sliced
- 1 tbsp ginger garlic paste
- 1/4 cup water
(for making the dish):
- fried punjabi wadi as above
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp kasuri methi/dry enugreek leaves
- 1/4 tsp red chilli powder (optional)
- 1/2 tsp garam masala
- 1 cup rice, soaked in waer for 30 minutes & water drained out
- 2 cups water
- (frying the wadis) Heat the oil on medium heat then put in the wadis and stir fry until golden, about a minute. Remove to a plate.
- (making the masala) In the same pan put 1 tbsp oil and the jeera. Reduce the heat to low & put the tej patta, whole dry red chilli, cinnamon, peppercorns & cloves. Saute until the jeera crackles, about a minute.
- Add the sliced onions & saute for a minute or two then add the ginger garlic paste & saute until the onion slices turn golden. Put in the water & mix well.
- (making the dish) Add the fried wadi, salt, kasuri methi, red chilli powder & garam masala. Mix well & saute for a minute.
- Put in the soaked rice only and water. Mix well and let the water come to a boil. Raise the heat to medium high. Once the water comes to a boil, reduce the heat to low, cover with a lid & cook until the water dries up. Check a few times in between. This took about 13 minutes for us.
- Shut off the heat and let the rice sit for 5 minutes covered with the lid.
- Serve the wadi rice with plain dahi or any raita.
Punjabi Wadi Chawal Recipe
© 2022 Rajan Singh Jolly