Mom to a 13, 11, and 5-year-old - as well as a k-8 educator. I spend all day with kids!
I love a good pecan pie and never really thought about how the pies were made of what the ingredients were in the pie. This is perfect with a dollop of whipped cream for holiday meals.
- 1 pie crust/shell, i used store bought
- 1 1/2 cups pecan halves
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup butter, 1/2 stick
- 3/4 cup dark corn syrup
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 tablespoon bourbon, optional
- 3 large eggs
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
1 hour 10 min
- Take pie shell out and warm to room temperature before rolling it out into your pie plate. Once the pie shell is ready begin making the rest of the ingredients.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- In a saucepan melt butter
- Add brown sugar and corn syrup over low heat and stir until smooth
- Add vanilla, cinnamon, and Bourbon (if using) to the butter mixture. Stir well. Remove from heat
- Place the pecan halves in the bottom of the empty pie shell.
- In a separate bowl beat the 3 large eggs
- Slowly pour in the eggs into the warm mixture and mix together quickly so that egg does not cook as you are adding it.
- Pour mixture over the pecans in the pie shell. The pecans will float in the mixture.
- Either use a pie shield of foil around the edge of your crust to keep the crust from burning.
- Place the pie in the lower third of your oven and bake for 60 minutes.
- Once the pie is removed from the oven and resting let it sit for 3-4 hours before serving.
The bourbon in the pecan pie adds a nice flavor but is not necessary for a delicious pie. The bourbon adds a complex flavor to the pie that adds to it. Some people soak the pecans in bourbon as an alternative more complicated recipe. Alternatively you can use extracts like brady or vanilla.
You can also replace with whiskey.
Do not forget to let the pie rest. This is not a pie that you can serve straight from the oven or warm from the oven. It needs to rest in order to set up correctly. Slicing into it when it is first removed may cause a googey ooey mess (although a delicious one).
© 2020 kthix10