Lover of good food and sharer of good recipes. Continuing attempts to document family favorites, while focusing on healthier versions.
The Best Banana Bread Is Made With Old Bananas
How And When To Make The Best Banana Bread
As far as I am concerned, a banana has to be be dark brown and bordering on becoming black in order to be considered optimal for making perfect banana bread. My kids will tell you they are sure the yuckier the better before I'll earmark it for the next bread baking cycle. They're right! Give me icky, squishy, gross. Can I hear an "eeewww!" But you know what... when those yucky bananas come out if the oven in a different form who is first in the banana bread line? Yeah, that's what I thought. :)
In this article I will show you exactly how brown bananas should be before saving them for baking a batch if perfectly delicious bread de "ba-na-na" as the cute-as-can-be Minions say.
Are These Bananas Ripe Enough For Banana Bread?
Is There A Limit To How Over Ripened Bananas Are Safe?
Not sure, but I tend to play it safe and go for only uniformly brown as my upper limit. Some bakers prefer, and actually wait for, the black fermentation stage to occur. See below for other opinions...
Join In On The Hot Button Banana Controversy. How Old Is Too Old?
- food safety - How do I know if a black banana is too old to be eaten? - Seasoned Advice
From time to buy, I buy too many bananas. For the future, I am considering refrigerating them instead of eating them, but they turn black. How can I know whether a black banana is still edible? if you can catch them when they're very ripe, I sugg...
Need Your Opinion: What's The Perfect Baking Banana Ripeness?
3 Methods Of Freezing Overly Ripe Bananas
I tend to throw bananas that have reached the "nobody will eat it" stage right into the freezer as is. Sometimes I'll take a moment to store them in a fruit/veggie only recycled ziplock bag, but it's not a deal breaker since there seems to be no noticeable difference.
I've read that others peel and plastic wrap bananas prior to freezing. I prefer not to only because I prefer that they don't have that blackened look that happens with oxidation. No harm, just unappealing to me.
Preparation & Cooking Time For Baking Banana Bread
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
Classic Banana Bread With Walnuts
- 2 cups flour, all purpose
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (optional, and i don't since we are low sodium)
- Grated peel of 1 lemon, (or 1 tsp. lemon extract)
- 1 cup 2 large or 3 small bananas, mashed
- 1/2 cup margarine, softened
- 1 cup brown sugar, packed
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup walnuts, (original recipe calls for chopped fine, but I like somewhat coarse for added texture)
Please Rate This Recipe For Overripe Banana Bread
Steps For Making Banana Bread
- Stir together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- Combine bananas and lemon peel (or lemon extract). Set aside.
- In large bowl, cream margarine. Gradually beat in sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs, one at a time, until well blended. Alternately stir in flour and banana mixtures until well blended. Stir in walnuts.
- Turn into well greased loaf pan.
- Bake in preheated 325 degree oven for 50-60 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean, but moist.
- Cool on rack 5 minutes.
- Turn loaf out to complete cooling and serve. Fini!
Banana Bread Is Best After Slightly Cooled From The Oven.
What Do You Slather On Your Banana Bread?
Spread Suggestions For Banana Bread
A Yahoo Food Chef Uses Nearly Black Bananas... And Sour Cream
© 2016 Beth Webster-Duerr
Thanks So Much For Stopping By. Won't You Leave A Comment Or Suggestion?
Mary Grace on February 06, 2016:
I love making banana bread since it's simple and easy to make. We actually have the same recipe. Sometimes though I play around and subtact 1/2 cup flour and replace it with oats to make it a bit healthier. I also use cashew at times.
This is a great hub for those who would like to start baking. Thanks for sharing.