Is there anything more heavenly to the senses than the sweet aroma of banana bread baking in the oven? The strong scent of warm banana wafts throughout the house and makes our families gather around the oven to watch the timer count down the minutes.
I love to bake but I'm no pro. I'm not very good at making things up as I go along and I certainly cannot substitute one thing for another. I stick to recipes and I need them to be simple, basic. And that's what this is: a simple banana bread recipe that has always yielded a yummy, soft and gooey result.
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
1 hour 15 min
Makes 1 loaf
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1 cup banana (about 2 medium), mashed
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup softened butter or margarine
- 2 eggs, slightly beaten
- 2 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 3/4 tsp. salt
- 1/2 cup chopped macadamia nuts, optional
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (or 175 degrees C)
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the ingredients in the order listed above.
- Mix well with a spoon.
- Pour or spoon the batter evenly into a greased loaf pan.
- Bake for approximately 1 hour or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes our clean.
- Let the loaf cool for 10-20 minutes and then turn it out onto a wire rack.
This banana bread is best served fresh and warm. I know that I shouldn't but I can't help spreading on a thin layer of butter or margarine.
So naughty but so, so yummy.
c on March 19, 2013:
Nicola Kendall (author) from Ontario, Canada on June 08, 2012:
RoxiM from West Virginia on June 08, 2012:
Nice recipe. I made banana bread this morning.
Nicola Kendall (author) from Ontario, Canada on June 04, 2012:
Recipes don't get much simpler, shubh008. Give it a try. In as little as an hour and a quarter, your mouth need water no more... :)
shubh008 on June 04, 2012:
As you see, I am not much into cooking but that picture really watered my mouth!