Before pursuing his education, Nigel was a cook for two years in several restaurants specializing in Malaysian and international cuisine.
Once Upon A Time
Okay, there’s a Malaysian burger revolution going on right now and we’re leaning towards having an "artisan" burger (we still love our Ramly burger by the way) with slightly higher priced condiments and buns. So, while I was in the kitchen, I learnt how to make a basic burger patty, however, with my will and determination while staying at home, I decided to experiment on the patty, how to make it better tasting?
What went into the patty?
While I started with the usual suspects of Salt and Pepper as a seasoning to the patty, I actually went out of the box to add the secret ingredient, Cajun seasoning to give the patty a smokier and spiced up taste, thus making it inspired by tex-mex cuisine. It was well loved by my bosses and when I tried to make this again earlier this year, my family loved it.
What's up with that green paste?
This burger recipe comes with Guacamole. As Malaysians, we don’t really have common access to Avocados which is quite expensive for us, so Guacamole isn’t very popular among Malaysians. But I’ve decided to add Guacamole to this recipe in order to give a refreshing taste and to cut the richness of the patty. Pretty tex-mex inspired eh?
Avocado ripeness in 4 stages
Avocados are one of the healthiest fruits to consume, with the high nutrients and good fats it gives to your body. However, at times, we may see avocados being sold during their early stages of ripeness, which is the green avocado you see in the picture. Lets go through the stages of ripeness in an avocado.
Stage 1 (Green): The inside of the avocado is still hard and the outside is too firm, which makes it difficult to make guacamole.
Stage 2 (Darker Green): The avocado at this point is getting softer and the outside is getting less firm, however, still difficult to make guacamole.
Stage 3 (Darkest Green): The avocado (in picture) is at it's ripe point, which makes the fruit softer in general, best ripeness stage to make guacamole.
Stage 4 (Darkest color and occasional lumps): This avocado is over-ripe, best not to consume this stage of avocado.
Where i got the Guacamole recipe?
- Guacamole | Allrecipes
This is where i got my Guacamole recipe from, credits to allrecipes.com for the delicious recipe.
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
For the patty:
- 400 grams/0.8 pounds beef minced
- 100 grams/0.22 pounds beef fat
- 2 tablespoons Cajun seasoning
- 1 egg
For the Guacamole:
- 3 ripe avocados
- 1 lime, juiced
- 2 plum tomatoes, diced into cubes
- 1/2 cup onions, diced
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced/paste
- 3 tablespoons cilantro/parsley, chopped finely
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 burger buns, your choice
- 4 eggs
- 4 cheddar cheese, slices
- 4 servings lettuce, chopped
- 4 spoons mayonaise/ketchup, spread it for bun
- some butter, to spread on buns for toasting
- Firstly, start by mixing the beef mince and beef fat into a bowl, let the two get to know each other before mixing in the Cajun seasoning and egg.
- Form the patties into quarter pound (120 gram) patties and put it in the fridge to let it set.
- Peel, pit and mash the avocados until finely mashed (similar consistency as a mashed potato).
- Add the lime juice into the mashed mix, then chop up the tomatoes, onions and cilantro/parsley.
- Add the chopped ingredients into the mashed mix, then taste and season until your liking. Put the Guacamole mix in the fridge (optional).
- Get ready to toast the burger buns by spreading some butter on them and toast it in the pan for about 1 minute.
- Remove the patties from your fridge and leave them at room temperature for a while.
- While waiting, fry the eggs sunny side up and get ready the lettuce and mayonnaise for the toppings later.
- Start putting the patties on an oiled medium heat pan (be-careful not to overcrowd it) and start frying for about 3 minutes each side for a medium rare and 4 minutes for a well done.
- Once you flipped the patties, wait for 1 minute and then add the cheese on top, be sure to add some warm water and put the lid on to melt the cheese.
- Once the patties are done, put aside to rest while you get ready to form the burger.
- First, you put the bottom layer of the bun and spread it with some mayonnaise, then add the lettuce on top of the spread.
- After that, add the juicy patty onto the lettuce and spread the guacamole on top of the patty, then add a sunny side up egg and top it all off with the top bun.
- Voila, you have a burger!
This video shows you how to properly remove the seed in an avocado
Homemade Burger Buns
You may have noticed, the buns do not look uniformed like the ones you can get in stores. Yes, i baked my own buns based on a brioche burger buns recipe. However, it didn't came out exactly how i wanted it to look but it was pretty tasty and suits well with the burger recipe. Personally, i wanted this recipe to be at least 75% homemade, which is why i baked my own burger buns. However, you are free to use any burger buns of your liking. One day i will try to bake another batch of brioche burger buns to share with all of you.
© 2020 Nigel Koay
Nigel Koay (author) from Malaysia on December 12, 2020:
Hi Peggy, i rarely make Guacamole haha, hope you liked the article!
Peggy Woods from Houston, Texas on December 12, 2020:
You got my attention with the guacamole. Yum!