Chicken curry recipe an authentic way of cooking / Indian village style/ No ready Masala is used
This authentic chicken curry is made with onion, tomatoes, chicken, and spices ( Coriander & Cumin powder, garam masala, turmeric) , fresh ginger paste, salt. Now a days people use ready chicken stock, canned puree or ready chicken masala but I learnt this recipe from my aunt she is really a great cook. This curry is not too spicy and not too oily like a restaurant one. This is simple flavored chicken curry made with a few spices only. We eat this curry with Indian chapati, plain rice or with jeera rice.
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
- 500gm Chicken, (You can use bone less or with bone)
- 2 big onion (If medium 3)
- 3 big tomatoes (If medium 4)
- 2 potatoes medium size
- 2 tablespoons ginger paste
- 1 tablespoon Red Chilli powder
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 4 teaspoons mix of coriander and cumin seed powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Garam masala
- 1/2 cup cut green coriander
- 1 to 3 (around 3-to-4-inch size) cinnamon stick pieces
- 4 to 5 cloves
- 2 to 3 bay leaves
- 6 tablespoons Oil
- 1 and ½ teaspoon salt
- Wash your chicken and keep it aside in bowl.
- Cut the onion in thin slice.
- Grind the tomatoes in grinder and make it puree
- Cut the Potatoes in cube, wash it, leave in the bowl with water.
- Take a one bowl , now add your washed chicken in to the bowl, now add turmeric, salt, chilly powder, ginger paste, coriander, and cumin powder and 2 tablespoon oil on it. Mix everything well and keep it aside. Let the chicken marinate for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Now take a non-sticks kadai or pan with a lid and add 4 tablespoon oil in it, let the oil heat, once oil is heated add cloves, bay leaves and cinnamon stick and sauté them for ½ minute.
- After that add your chopped onion carefully. (Please keep around ½ cup onion aside). Sauté its medium flame until its turn to golden brown.
- Once the Onion is golden brown now add your fresh tomatoes puree in it and mix it well. Cover the pot with a lid and let it cook for a 9 to 10 Minute (remember to stir it in between so the gravy does not get burnt)
- Now add your marinated chicken and potatoes in to the gravy and mix it well, now add your onion on top, the one that you have kept aside and cover the pot with a lid. Let it cook for 5 to 6 minutes on a slow flame. After 5 to 6 minutes open the lead and mix it well and cover it again and let it cook on a slow flame for another 4 to 5 minutes.
- Now add 1 glass of hot water (around 300 ml) mix it and cover with a lid and let it cook on medium flame. While adding a water just ensure that amount of water should be enough to cover the chicken. Let it cook for 15 minutes and after that check the chicken is it soft or not.
- Sometime chicken does take a little bit long to cook if you think your chicken is not cooked yet close the lid and let it cook on slow flame till you find chicken is soft and cooked.
- Once chicken is soft and cooked, add Garam Masala and fresh coriander in it. Mix it well, turn off the stove and keep it aside.
- Your Chicken curry is ready to serve. Wait for 10 to 15 minutes before serving and ensure that it is not too hot while serving. You can also add few drops of fresh lemon juice while eating. You can eat with chapati, plain or jeera rice.
- Garam Masala: Garam Masala, It is a very popular and widely used spices in Indian cooking. It is generally made of with ground cumin, clove, coriander, cardamom, black pepper, cinnamon, nutmeg and other spices. However I recommend to check the ingredient on a packaging before buying, as ingredient that are used in the masala powder is different from suppliers to suppliers. If you will add too much of this powder in your curry, your curry will become too spicy. So I recommend to add little bit first and if you like to eat more spicy then you can add it more. Sometime people also make this spice at home by grinding it in a mixture jar.
- Turmeric Powder: Turmeric spice, A yellow color spices, It is a very popular and commonly used spice in Indian food on a daily basis. It is the main spice in Indian curry which brig a yellow color and flavor in all the curries. It has a wide health benefit. For making this chicken curry if you have the turmeric powder available at home you can use it for this recipe. If you don't have one you can easily buy this organic turmeric powder. In India people also drink a fresh turmeric with a milk. It has a many benefits which you can also search online. Remember if you will add too much of turmeric powder in your curry can also ruin the taste of your curry.