Cristale Adams is an online author and publisher. Her articles vary in topics and focus on real life. She always enjoys learning new things.
What is a Trifle Dessert?
The first documented and published trifle recipe was in England during 1596. This was multiple layers of thick sweet cream containing sugar, ginger, and rosewater. Sixty years later milk was added to the mixture, then the traditional trifle kept evolving through changes and creativity until it is what we have today.
A modern trifle is officially defined as a dessert dish that contains ingredients such as custards, fruits, sponge cake or soft cookies, fruit flavored juices, and whipped cream. Modern trifle dessert recipes also encourage creativity to alter ingredients and enjoy the healthiness from the fruit. The combinations and options for this type of dessert are endless with multiple possibilities. This unique trifle dessert dish is also usually served in its own very special trifle bowl. Most trifle bowls are also called trifle dessert dishes. They can range from cheap and gets the job done to lavish and very expensive. They may come in glass, crystal, or other eye-catching materials.
Mocha is the mixture of coffee with chocolate, in any form. It's like a marriage between coffee and chocolate. The coffee bean can only be whole, powdered, or brewed. Blending it with chocolate by mixing, dipping, or other variables of this combination creates mocha. For example, a chocolate covered coffee bean to snack on would be a mocha bean. Another example of blending coffee with chocolate is the beloved mocha coffee drink, like the famous mocha latte, which actually is the chocolate and coffee combination with espresso added. The mocha concept is also true with baking recipes. Mocha basically means that there is a coffee/chocolate combination, along with whatever follows the mocha part, like mocha raspberry.
We all know that raspberries are healthy because they contain large amounts of antioxidants, like Vitamin C, but did you know that these small red berries are also loaded with potassium and fiber? The mixture of those nutrients increases our immune system and also improves our heart health. Consuming large amounts of raspberries has shown to increase healthy vision, protect against heart diseases, and cancers. These berries are sweet but a bit sour because they have a flavor that is unique and original to this particular berry, unlike the blackberry. Yellow and orange raspberries do exist, like the Honey Queen, but the red ones are a healthier choice because of all the benefits they yield.
The top three worldwide commercial production output of raspberry supply is Russia, Serbia, and the United States.
Mocha Raspberry Trifle Recipe
This recipe is for a mocha raspberry trifle, which is inspired by wanting something to calm the craving for coffee, dark chocolate, and raspberries, which is loved by many people, all at the same time. Do not substitute canned fruit for fresh or frozen fruit because those contain high levels of fructose corn syrup, which is increased sugar amounts.
Examples of alterations that can be made to this recipe are:
- Nilla Wafers instead of cake
- Other berries instead of raspberries
- Cream cheese added
- 1 pound chocolate sponge or pound cake
- 1 pound red raspberries, fresh or frozen
- 3 1/2 ounce powdered dark chocolate, powdered
- 1 1/3 cup whipping cream
- 4 egg yolks
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon instant coffee powder
- 1 tablespoon water, hot
- 2 teaspoons vanilla flavoring
Gourmet Trifle Bowl
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
10-12 slices for up to 8 people
- For the Custard: Whisk egg yolks, cornstarch, and sugar together in a cooking pan until smooth.
- Heat milk in a separate pan.
- Gradually stir warm milk into egg yolk mixture.
- Cook on medium heat, stirring constantly just until mixture boils and begins to thicken.
- Combine coffee, water, and vanilla in a small mixing bowl then slowly blend into the pan with egg yolk mixture.
- Cover surface of the pan with plastic wrap to prevent skin from forming on the top and let cool at room temperature.
- Beat whipping cream until soft peaks begin to form and fold into prepared custard filling.
- Cut cake into 10-12 slices and place some slices into a trifle bowl.
- Layer cake evenly with custard, powdered dark chocolate, and raspberries. Repeat layer of cake, custard, dark chocolate, and raspberries. *The amount of layers depends on the size of the trifle bowl used*
- Top with remaining custard, dark chocolate, and raspberries.
More Trifle Dessert Recipes
- Easy Pumpkin Gingerbread Trifle Recipe
Do you love pumpkin pie? Do you hate pumpkin pie? Either way, I guarantee you will love this! Imagine combining a Starbucks gingerbread latte, a pumpkin spice latte (complete with whipped cream, of course) and some moist spicy cake. Cool the...
- Easy Chocolate Berry Trifle Recipe
Trifle is the dessert equivalent of lasagna. There are a zillion different ingredients you can use. The only requirement is that the ingredients are layered . But unlike lasagna, trifle is chilled, not baked. I invented this particular taste...
- How to Make an Alcohol-Infused Strawberry & Blueberry Trifle
This is an "adult version" of a trifle, using strawberry-infused vodka. It's still light, refreshing, and great for those hot Summer days.
- Best Chocolate Kahlua Trifle Desert Recipe & Other Variations
If you like chocolate, you will love these variations of the Best Chocolate Trifle Recipe. Adding one ingredient gives it a completely different flavor. Kahlua, Cherry, Caramel, Brownie.
© 2012 Cristale Adams
Cristale Adams (author) on March 19, 2013:
Thank you for reading and for voting. I also have a spring fruit trifle recipe hub that you may also enjoy.
Petra Newman on March 17, 2013:
I always wanted to make a trifle. After seeing your hub, I can't wait to try it. Great hub. Thanks for sharing. I voted this up.
Cristale Adams (author) on July 05, 2012:
Did you ever try it? Let me know and thanks for the encouraging words!
rutley from South Jersey on June 19, 2012:
This looks so good! Can't wait to try it! Happy writing and goodie making!