Rozlin loves to cook healthy food for her loving family, and she wants to share this recipe with her readers.
Spicy masala oats
Veg masala oats
Masala oats is a healthy, tasty, and spicy oats recipe which is an ideal breakfast recipe for kids and even adults. having oats with milk or yogurt can be sometime monotonous, hence this recipe to introduce some spice to the regular breakfast.
I often make this recipe for my hubby’s tiffin box. Sometimes, I make it for dinner. My 2-year-old cutie enjoys this masala oats a lot. I started making it for her since she was 10 months old. I used to make it in ghee or sometimes in olive oil with asafoetida and cumin seeds. I used to add more veggies to make it more nutritious for her.
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
Ingredients for making healthy masala oats
- 2 teaspoons oil
- 1/2 teaspoon zeera, (cumin seeds)
- asafoetida, (hing) a pinch
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon ginger garlic paste
- 1/2 teaspoon green chilli paste
- 1/4 teaspoon haldi, (turmeric)
- salt, as per taste
- 1/2 teaspoon red chilli powder
- tomato, chopped
- capsicum, chopped
- carrot, chopped
- 1 cup oats
- 2 cups water, or as required
- 1/2 teaspoon garam masala powder
- 1/4 teaspoon chaat masala
- 1/4 lemon
How to make veg masala oats?
- Firstly, heat oil, add zeera and hing.
- Then add onion and sauté well.
- Add ginger garlic paste and green chilli paste and sauté well till the raw smell goes.
- Add tomato and sauté till they turn soft and mushy.
- Add carrot and capsicum and sauté well. Cook them till they retain their crunchiness.
- Add haldi, salt, red chilli powder and mix well.
- Sauté till spices turn aromatic.
- Add oats and mix well.
- Now add water and mix well.
- Cover and simmer for 5 minutes, or till the oats get cooked well.
- Add garam masala powder and chaat masala and mix well. Cook for some time.
- Then transfer to the serving bowl with lemon wedges.
Suggestions and Variations
While it is extremely simple to prepare masala oats, but few tips and variations before preparing it. This recipe can also be prepared without any vegetables. As a variation you can add your choice of vegetables. You can add green peas, corn, mint leaves, fenugreek leaves and even coriander. You can adjust the amount of green chilli paste and red chilli powder according to your taste to make flavorful oats recipe spicy. Always serve this recipe hot. It can be served alone without any accompaniment but is best with papad, chutney, raita. You can make this recipe healthier by preparing it in olive oil or ghee (clarified butter). Hing relieves indigestion. Chaat masala and lemon juice make this recipe a bit tangy. You can skip chaat masala and lemon juice if you do not like tangy taste. You can make this recipe for all age groups. If you are making it for a baby, use ghee or olive oil and skip green chilli paste and red chilli powder. Also, skip chaat masala. You can add veggies in pureed, grated, or mashed form. You can adjust the consistency of this recipe according to your baby.
More about oats
Oats are among the healthiest grains on earth. They are a gluten-free whole grain and a great source of important vitamins, minerals, fiber, and antioxidants. Studies show that oats have many health benefits. These include weight loss, lower blood sugar levels and a reduced risk of heart disease.
© 2021 Rozlin