Lover of good food and sharer of good recipes. Continuing attempts to document family favorites, while focusing on healthier versions.
Love Fried Chicken but...
... don' t love the high calories and high sodium content of the usual recipe? This is a intensely flavored, but not spicy, version that misses none of the flavor of your favorite, but frankly unhealthy, southern fried chicken.
(Want spicy or other flavorings? See alternate ideas after the recipe.)
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
Please Rate This Recipe
- 1 cup plain bread crumbs
- 1/4 teaspoon teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon papricka
- olive oil or soy oil spray
- 4 chicken thigh parts
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/4 teaspoon dried dill
Directions for Preparing this Oven Fried Chicken Recipe
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Place milk in bowl small and deep enough to submerge one chicken thigh at a time. Place breadcrumbs and all spices in another of the same size bowl and stir to mix throughly.
- Dip each piece of chicken in milk, then drop and dredge chicken into bread crumb mixture to coat well. Place on oil sprayed pan and repeat for remaining pieces.
- Place on middle rack in oven and set timer for 15 minutes, then reduce temperature to 400 degrees. Bake for an additional 30 minutes to reach an internal temperature of 165 degrees by kitchen instant thermometer inserted near bone. Let cool slightly before serving.
Alternate Flavors for Oven Fried Chicken
- Spicy ~ Add Frank's Red Hot or Tabasco to milk before dipping and add red pepper to breadcrumb mixture.
- Tangy ~ Replace 1/2 of milk with 1-2 tablespoons of Dijon or Grainy Mustard and stir well before dipping.
- Parmesan ~ Add grated cheese to bread crumbs before coating chicken.
Have other flavor suggestions to share? Leave a comment at the bottom of this page.
Oven Fried Chicken Serving Suggestion
Thanks for your visit. Any Comments or Suggestions?
peachy from Home Sweet Home on April 09, 2016:
Oh I must try this chicken recipe