This hub is about a very popular dish that is famous in North India and Plain Area of Nepal.
Photo Guide: Mutton Katiya
My mom is expert in cooking. She usually make Mutton Katiya once a week in traditional way. I have been eating this dish since I was 4 years as far as I could remember. I always wonder how could something taste so delicious and awesome. This dish always makes me crazy. While I was in high school, I knew that my friends were also crazy about eating mutton. So one day I planned to invite them for dinner party on my birthday at my home. I told my mom to prepare this very dish on that very day. You guys can’t believe when they started to eat, they were unable to stop. They thanked my mom for this very delicious and awesome dish and told that they will come back whenever they get time to eat her hand made Mutton Katiya. So I came up with an idea that why don’t I share this recipe with you. If you guys haven’t tried, I would suggest, you should try this dish once. I am sure you guys will also be crazy and fond of eating this dish. So without any further due let’s get started.
Mutton Katiya is a traditional recipe from North Bihar (India). They cook this delicious, awesome and spicy dish in a burnt red pot made from clay and mud called Katiya. So this recipe is named “Mutton Katiya”.
Note: This recipe is for ½ kg (500 gm) mutton meat only. If you want make for 1 kg just double the ingredients as given below.
Points To Be Taken Care Of:
1) Mutton piece should be medium in size with tiny bones.
2) Burnt red pot should be immersed in water for more than 20 minutes before cooking.
3) You should use coal for cooking. If you don’t have coal for heating, you can use gas stove at lowest flame. But it’s better to use coal to have good taste.
4) You can use little water as much as you can or you can use more water if you need gravy. But little gravy would be best.
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
1 hour 30 min
serves three people 5.95 ounces of mutton
- 1 head, 5-6 pieces garlic ( लसुन / लहसुन )
- 50 gm paste ginger paste ( अदुवा पेस्ट / अदरक का पेस्ट )
- 2-3 pieces dried red chili ( सुक्खा रातो चिली )
- 1-2 pieces bay leaf ( तेजपात / तेज पत्ता )
- 4- pieces black pepper ( काली मिर्च )
- 2 pieces clove ( ल्वाल / लौंग )
- 1 or ½ inch cinnamon ( दालचिनी )
- 2 pieces cardamom ( इलायची )
- 1 table spoon coriander seeds ( धनिया को दाना / धनिया के बीज )
- 1 table spoon cumin ( जीरा )
- 300-400 gm chopped onion ( काटिए को प्याज
- 1 table spoon turmeric powder ( हल्दी पाउडर )
- 1 table spoon garam masala ( गरम मसला )
- ½ table spoon fennel ( सौंफ )
- As your desire salt ( नुन / नमक )
- 500 gm medium sized mutton meat
- 5-6 table spoon mustard oil ( तोरीको / सरसों का तेल )
- 1 table spoon Butter (ghee)
- First prepare your clay pot. Make sure your pot is of suitable size and with a lid and immerse them into water for more than 20 minutes.
- After that dry the pot slightly by heating and apply some thin layer of mustard oil inside the inner wall of pot.
- First pour the garlic and ginger paste into the pot along with 2-3 piece of red dried chili.
- Then pour all the ingredients like Bay Leaf, Black Pepper, Clove, Cinnamon, Cardamom, Coriander Seeds, Cumin, Chopped Onion, Turmeric Powder, Garam Masala, Fennel, Salt into clay pot as mentioned above.
- Next pour the mutton into pot and discharge 5-6 spoon of oil on it. And finally pour the remaining meat into pot and cover it with its lead as shown in picture.
- Finally we will cook Mutton Katiya on burnt hot coal for 2 hours.
- In the meanwhile, let the meat of Katiya is mixed for 2 to 3 times while cooking.
- Put a head / knob of garlic and also add spoon of butter too while mixing in the meanwhile.
- Once the time is up, take off the lid and check whether the meat is soft or not. After that cook it for 5 minutes without covering. If the meat needs more cooking, close the lid and let it cook for 5-10 more minutes. Then cook for further 5 minutes, uncovered.
- Finally garnish meat with fresh green coriander and serve with Salad, pickle, beaten rice or you can serve with Roti too.
Rating for Mutton Katiya.
Nitish Kumar Chaudhary from Nepal on August 12, 2020: