Kappa kuzhachathu with kudampuliyitta meen curry
Tapioca is one of the traditional food, that is common in Kerala's menu, since ancient times. Simply steamed Tapioca with chilly chutney was the common breakfast in most of the villages. I'm here introducing the mouth watering, spicy combination - Kappa Kuzhachathu with kudampuliyitta meen curry ( Smashed Tapioca and Kerala Style Spicy Fish Curry).
This is one of my favorite recipes. This is a must dish for me, during special occasions and is very easy to prepare. Even the sight of a dish, fills my mouth with water. So yummy and so spicy. Hope this will be, really a treat for you too.
Kappa Meen Curry
Benefits of Tapioca
Tapioca comes to the dining table in different forms - Tapioca Chips, Tapioca boiled and drained, Tapioca boiled and smashed(Kappa Kuzhachathu) etc. It is said that while having Tapioca, we should consume the same along with Meat or Fish Items; I'm not sure about the reason why it is said so.
Tapioca is of great nutritional values.It helps in healthy weight gain, is good for maintaining blood pressure levels, increases the energy level, it improves blood circulation and the list is never ending.
Rate my Kappa Meen Curry Recipe
Combinations with Tapioca or Kappa
Tapioca or Kappa, is served in many ways. Kappa boiled and smashed with coconut mix or simply boiled is the main ways in which the same is served.
'Kappayum ellum' i.e., Tapioca with bones of beef is yet another special recipe in Kottayam side (a place in Kerala). Kappa Biriyani, famous all over is another version of Kappa Kuzhachathu (Tapioca smashed) along with beef curry.
Kerala Style Tapioca Meen Curry
Cook Time for Kappa and Meen Curry
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
1 hour 45 min
Serves 3-4 people per bowl
Ingredients for Kappa Meen Curry
- 1 kg Tapioca/ Kappa, cleaned, boiled with salt and turmeric & drained
- Handful of Grated Coconut/ Chirakiya Thenga, ( for Smashing Kappa/ Tapioca)
- 4-5 Nos Shallots / Kunjulli, ( for Smashing Kappa/ Tapioca)
- 3-4 Nos Garlic Cloves/ Veluthulli, ( for Smashing Kappa/ Tapioca)
- a pinch of Turmeric powder/ Manjal Podi, ( for Smashing Kappa/ Tapioca)
- 1/4 teaspoon of Cumin powder/Nalla Jeeraka podi, ( for Smashing Kappa/ Tapioca)
- 3-4 Nos Green Chillies/ Pachamulaku, ( for Smashing Kappa/ Tapioca)
- 500gms Choora / Tuna, ( any big fish like seer fish, Mahi Mahi, Tuna etc)
- 3-4 pieces of Kudampuli/Garcinia Cambogia, (for fish curry)
- 3-4 Nos Garlic Cloves/ Veluthulli, (for fish curry)
- 7-8 Nos Shallots / Kunjulli, (for fish curry)
- 3 Spoon Chilliy powder/ Mulaku podi, (for fish curry)
- 1/4 Spoon Turmeric powder/ Manjal Podi, (for fish curry)
- 1/4 Spoon Fenugreek seeds/ Uluva, (for fish curry)
- as needed Curry Leaves, (for both)
- as needed Salt, (for both)
- as needed mustard seed, (for both)
- as needed water, (for both)
Cleaned Tapioca pieces
Instructions for Cooking Kappa and Meen Curry
- Remove the Skin of Kappa/Tapioca and cut it into medium size pieces and wash thoroughly with water.
- To cook Kappa/Tapioca, take a pressure cooker, put the pieces and pour water up to the level of tapioca. Put salt as needed and also 1/4 spoon turmeric and cook the same, until you here 5-6 whistles.
- once cooked, drain the water using a drainer and set aside the Cooked Tapioca/Kappa
- Now take the below ingredients - Handful of Grated Coconut/ Chirakiya Thenga, 4-5 Nos Shallots / Kunjulli, 3-4 Nos Garlic Cloves/ Veluthulli, a pinch of Turmeric powder/ Manjal Podi, 1/4 teaspoon of Cumin powder/Nalla Jeeraka podi, 3-4 Nos Green Chillies/ Pachamulaku, In a mixer grinder and crush it gently. we don't need it to grind, only crushing is needed.
- Now In a bigger vessel ( we need to smash the tapioca, so we need space for that) pour coconut oil. Once the oil is hot, put splutter mustard seeds, then add curry leaves and add the boiled Tapioca. Mix it with the Coconut mix and start Smashing in low flame. You may need to use one/two strong spoon to smash the same. - 'Kappa Kuzhachathu' / Smashed Tapioca is ready
- Clean and curry cut the fish and set aside. Cleaning fish need it to be cleaned with salt.
- Get a 'manchatty' / earthen pot and place on the stove. Pour coconut oil and once it is hot, add 1/4 spoon fenugreek / uluva, once the same splutters add curry leaves
- Then add, ginger garlic shallot paste and salute till it turns brown, then add 3 spoon chilly powder along with 1/4 spoon turmeric powder.
- Once the same is saluted for a while, add needed water and 'kudampuli'/Garcinia Cambogia ('kudampuli'/Garcinia Cambogia should be kept in water for sometime, and then clean to remove anyimpurities)
- Add needed salt and once the curry starts boiling, sim the flame and cook for 15-20 minutes.
- Once cooked,it may take one day, to get the correct flavor of Meen curry/ Fish Curry (time to get the flavor of 'kudampuli'/Garcinia Cambogia and salt to the curry).
- Every day the fish curry needs to be heated/boiled, and as the days passes, the taste of Meen Curry/ Fish Curry enhances, it is the specialty of 'kudampuli'/Garcinia Cambogia .
Steps for Kappa Kuzhachathu/ Smashed Tapioca
Steps for FishCurry/ Kudampuliyitta Meen Curry
Do try the recipe
Hope you enjoyed the recipe; do try the same and let me know your comments.
© 2017 DEEPA JOHN