A pastelon de papas is a delicious baked potato dish. This casserole is very popular in Puerto Rico, but is also made in other latin countries. It has layers of mashed potato and seasoned meat, similar to shepherd's pie.
Traditional Puerto Rican pastelon de papas is made with picadillo (ground beef seasoned with sofrito, olives and spices). This recipe is a lighter version, made with stewed chicken.
- Mash boiled potatoes with butter. Add garlic powder, parmesan cheese, and salt and black pepper to taste. Consistency must be thicker than regular mashed potatoes. Reserve.
- To make the chicken: Sautee onions, peppers and minced garlic in oil for 2 or 3 minutes. Add tomato sauce, olives, herbs and spices. Add salt and pepper. Let it cook for 2 or 3 more minutes. Add the chicken and let it simmer cover at very low temperature for 20 to 30 minutes. Transfer the chicken to a bowl and shred it. Meanwhile, reduce the sauce at medium-to high heat if necessary. Return shredded chicken to the sauce and mix. Adjust salt if needed. Chicken must be cover in sauce but not saucy.
- Spread half of the mashed potatoes in a previously greased baking pan. Add the chicken. (You could add a layer of your favorite cheese.) Top with the rest of the potatoes. Sprinkle with parmesan cheese and breadcrumbs.
- Bake at 375 for about 30 to 45 minutes, or until golden brown and bubbly. Let it rest before serving.
- 4 pounds potatoes, boiled
- 1 stick butter, melted
- 1 tbs garlic powder
- parmesan cheese, grated
- 4 large chicken breasts
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 cubanelle pepper, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 7oz can roasted red peppers, chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 can tomato sauce or puree
- olives, sliced (optional)
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- salt & pepper
- canola or olive oil
Recipes you may like:
- Island Bites: Arroz con cebolla y tocineta (Rice with Onions and Bacon)
Arroz con cebolla has become a very popular side dish in Puerto Rico. This rice is very simple and easy to prepare, yet really flavorful.
- Island Bites: Arroz con gandules (Puerto Rican pigeon peas rice)
Pigeon peas rice is a staple in Puerto Rico. During the Holidays, it is the official dish, alongside lechón asado (roasted pork).
- Island Bites: Piñón (Sweet Plantain Lasagna)
Piñon is a Puerto Rican dish made with friend sweet plantains and picadillo (seasoned ground meat).
- Island Bites: Arroz con espinacas y almendras (Spinach Rice with Almonds)
Quick and easy healthy dish. It is a great vegetarian recipe too.
- Island Bites: Papas Salteadas con Tocineta (Warm Potato & Bacon Salad)
A warm and delicious spin on traditional potato salad.
IslandBites (author) from Puerto Rico on September 14, 2015:
Thanks! Hope you like it!
James from The Eastern Bypass on September 14, 2015:
I will have to spare some time tonight to try this great recipe. It is a great one. Thank you
IslandBites (author) from Puerto Rico on December 18, 2013:
Indian Chef from New Delhi India on December 18, 2013:
IslandBites (author) from Puerto Rico on October 18, 2013:
I believe cubanelle pepper are also known as italian frying peppers. Thanks for the comment!
kidscrafts from Ottawa, Canada on October 18, 2013:
This dish looks just yummy! I had to search what was a cubanelle pepper... and I found it with pictures! Great picture! It illustrate very well your recipe! I will try it :-)
Thanks for sharing! Voted up, awesome and delicious :-)
IslandBites (author) from Puerto Rico on August 28, 2013:
I hope you try it. Thanks for stopping by!
tastiger04 on August 28, 2013:
This looks fantastic.....I will have to try this sometime! Sounds so delicious :) Thank you for sharing :) Voted up and awesome!
IslandBites (author) from Puerto Rico on August 23, 2013:
Rajan Singh Jolly from From Mumbai, presently in Jalandhar, INDIA. on August 23, 2013:
The dish looks delicious. Thanks for sharing.
IslandBites (author) from Puerto Rico on June 22, 2013:
Thank you, Kathryn.
Kathryn from Windsor, Connecticut on June 22, 2013:
That looks really good! I love casseroles. Thanks for sharing this with us, and have a fantastic weekend!
stessily on June 11, 2013:
IslandBites, Thank you for sharing this delicious recipe which combines two wonderful foods: mashed potatoes and chicken. The blend of oregano and thyme sounds particularly tasty.
IslandBites (author) from Puerto Rico on June 08, 2013:
Hope you like it. Thanks, ketage!
ketage from Croatia on June 08, 2013:
This looks delicious, the recipe sounds good. I will definitely try this :)
IslandBites (author) from Puerto Rico on May 24, 2013:
Thanks for the comment, healthmom.
healthmom on May 24, 2013:
looks really yummy:) Voted up
IslandBites (author) from Puerto Rico on May 01, 2013:
moonlake from America on May 01, 2013:
This sounds very good. Voted up.
IslandBites (author) from Puerto Rico on April 30, 2013:
Rajan Singh Jolly from From Mumbai, presently in Jalandhar, INDIA. on April 30, 2013:
A very interesting recipe. Thanks for sharing.
IslandBites (author) from Puerto Rico on April 20, 2013:
Hahaha, thanks. I have no idea. We just have to think "it's just mashed potatoes and chicken" to feel less guilty. LOL
Nadia Archuleta from Denver, Colorado on April 20, 2013:
Wow that looks delicious. I can't wait to try it! (I gather it has about a million calories, tho!)
IslandBites (author) from Puerto Rico on April 15, 2013:
Holle Abee from Georgia on April 15, 2013:
This looks and sounds super yummy! Voted up!
IslandBites (author) from Puerto Rico on April 10, 2013:
You're welcome. Glad you like it.
Twila Nelson from Carmichael, California on April 10, 2013:
Thank you for a Yummmmmy comfort food recipe.