Rozlin likes to try new recipes everytime and when they turn out yummy, she wants to share the recipe with her readers.
Soft and fluffy rava idli
Instant semolina idli
Rava idli is a variation of popular South Indian breakfast dish idli, but made with rava, curd, some spices, veggies, and a leavening agent. Rava means semolina and idli are steamed cakes. Making rava idli is quick and easy since it is an instant recipe which needs no grinding and fermentation. These are eaten for breakfast with chutney. This is a kid friendly recipe too.
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
1 hour 10 min
For the idli:
- 1 cup rava, (semolina, sooji) roasted
- 1 cup curd, (dahi)
- salt, as per taste
- water, as required
- 1/2 cup carrot, grated
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
For the tempering of idli:
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds, (rai)
- 1 teaspoon urad daal, (black gram)
- 2 green chillies, chopped
- 2 tablespoons cashew nuts, broken
- 1 tablespoon curry leaves
Tempering for idli
Rava idli batter
No fermentation idli
- In a mixing bowl add the roasted rava, salt and curd, mix well and rest it for minimum 30 minutes.
- For tempering, heat oil in a pan, add mustard seeds and allow it to splutter, add urad daal and green chillies, cashew nut, curry leaf and sauté for a minute.
- Add the tempering in the batter, beat and mix well and adjust the batter consistency by adding water.
- Add the baking soda to the batter just before steaming to get soft idlis.
- Grease the idli mold with oil, and pour the idli batter up to 3/4th of the mold.
- Steam the idlis for 7-8 minutes. To ensure the idlis are cooked completely, prick a toothpick and if it comes clean its done or else you need to steam further.
- Allow to cool down the idlis, demold them.
- Steamed rava idli is ready to be served, serve this healthy yet instant idli with freshly prepared peanut chutney or coconut chutney.
Suggestions & Variations
It is a great dish to add vegetables in disguise to give the required nutrition to your kids.
It is easy to chew for babies. Skip cashew nuts since they are hard to chew for babies.
You can add veggies in mashed or grated form.You can also add a pinch of turmeric.
Avoid using soda if serving for kids. You can use baking powder.
Also, roast the rava on medium flame, else the idli will turn sticky and hard.
You can also prepare the batter before in hand and store in a fridge.
Remember just before steaming add baking soda or baking powder.
Steam the instant rava idli on medium heat to get the soft idli.
This content is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge and is not meant to substitute for formal and individualized advice from a qualified professional.
© 2021 Rozlin