Individual beef wellington Recipe
My Individual Beef Wellington Recipe
This Individual Beef Wellington recipe will impress your dinner guests, friends or family, You can easily cook this Individual Beef Wellington to your guests' liking - medium rare / medium or even well done, Sorry Rare can't be done as the pastry will not have time to cook with the short time it will take to cook.
The individual beef Wellington can be made up in advance and kept in fridge until you are ready to cook them,
Following this easy beef wellington recipe you will have a restaurant quality meal at home,
Individual Beef Wellington Recipe Review
Ingredients For My Individual Beef Wellington
- 6oz (200g) per person Fillrt of Beef steaks(Beef tenderloin)
- 2oz 100g Butter
- 2lb Mushrooms
- 1 block Puff pastry
- 1 slice per person Parma ham (cured Ham, Pancetta)
- 1 Beaten Egg
Beef Tenderloin Wellington Recipe (fillet)
- If you have brought a whole beef fillet (tenderloin) you will need to trim the beef fillet if it has not been done already with good sharp Knife, To cut your steaks to the right size If you imagine a tin can of beans laying on there side if you were to cut that can in to three equal parts, that would be roughly 6oz the right size for the beef wellingtons. If not the easiest thing is to get your butcher to do it for you.
- Ok now we need seal the outsides of our beef. Heat a heavy based sauté pan, you need to lightly oil the beef not the pan, Then place them in to your hot pan keep on a high heat. Turning them every minute or so until they have browned on all sides (not raw meat color) they must not cook for too long if they are not browning your pan is not hot enough, remove meat from pan and heat again untill really hot, You are sealing in the flavour but oing this on a low heat juices and flavour will escape,So Hot Pan. Once brown remove from your pan and leave on side to cool.
- The Mushroom Filling (Optional) In a deep pot/pan add a drissle of rapeseed oil or veg oil, put your pan on a high heat.
- Add your roughly choped mushrooms and maybe some thyme herb, and a clove of crushed garlicd if you would like and also your 2oz/100g of butter, Now season with salt and pepper.
- Cook for about 10 mins. Remove pan from the heat. Now we need to ether use a stick blender or food processor to pulp the mix we don't want to have the mushroom to fine, Once you have done this i suggest you leave the mushroom mix in a sieve to drain, and leave to cool.
- Now we need to roll out pastry.If your not using ready rolled puff pastry until its roughly 4mm thick, We need a square about 6", 17cm by 6", 17cm. A small piece has to be cut out of each corner, this will prevent the pastry of our Individual Beef Wellington from not cooking, Its where the pastry would be to thick .
Now For The Assembly Of Our Beef Wellington
7. In the middle of each piece of pastry we need to lay a slice of our cured meat parma ham,
8. On to your parma ham you place your slice of pate if you are using some, and on top of this we add a spoonful of our mushroom mixture.
9. Now our beef fillet will be placed atop of this, Brush all exposed pastry with the beaten egg,
10. Ok so we have to fold the sides up over the beef Wellington gently to make a parcel. We need to trim any excess pastry off,
I USE THE SAME FOLDING TECHNIQUE IN MY SALMON EN CROUTE RECIPE, I have a video on this recipe of the pastry folding.
11. Place our beef wellington on to a piece of baking/ parchment paper or on too non stick baking sheet, We need to gently score the pastry with a criss cross pattern, and brush with the rest of our beaten egg,
These individual beef Wellington`s will stay fresh in a refrigerator for a day or two.
Cooking Your Beef Wellingtons
Set your oven at 400F, 200C (Gas 6).
Keep checking your beef wellingtons to make sure the pastry is not becoming too dark. If it is getting too dark adjust your oven temp by turning it oven down slightly. Once they are cooked the should look a nice golden colour,
Now Remove from the oven and leave to rest for 5 mins.
Here are some rough timing guides;
Medium rare will take 20-24 mins,
Medium will take 25- 30 mins;
Well done 30-40 mins, For well done just take care not to burn your pastry.
Individual Beef Wellington Cook Time
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
6oz of beef per person
Cooking your Individual Beef Wellington Recipe
© 2013 Charlie Cheesman