Garlic bread is actually regular bread topped with minced garlic and olive oil or butter which is then grilled or baked. This article tells you how to make garlic bread with regular bread, its nutritious value and origin.
The first kind of garlic bread originated in Tuscany and it was known as bruschetta. This name came from the Italian word Bruscare which means ‘to toast over coals’. They made garlic bread by simply rubbing garlic cloves on bread slices and then drizzling bread with olive oil, salt and pepper. Later it was Romans who introduced the idea of toasting the bread. Today, garlic bread is a very popular American starter. It is a simple dish which can be prepared very quickly. The nutritious and health benefits obtained from garlic bread are very high.
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
To serve 2 - 3 persons
Now let us see how to make garlic bread out of regular bread. Ingredients needed for preparing garlic bread are:
- 4 - 5 slices Regular bread or one baguette bread
- 3 - 3 ½ tablespoon Butter
- 1 - 2 Garlic cloves grated
- 1 teaspoon Basil Powder
- A hand full Coriander leaves, Freshly chopped
- ½ teaspoon Pepper powder
- ½ teaspoon Paprika powder
- Before mixing the ingredients, pre-heat oven to 350 F.
- Slice the baguette bread or regular bread vertically. Do not separate the pieces. You need to just make slits.
- Add butter, grated garlic, coriander leaves, salt, pepper, basil and paprika powder to a bowl and mix it well
- Spread this butter mix on the bread piece and also inside the slits
- Now cover this bread in an aluminium foil and pop it in the oven for about 8 minutes at 350 F.
Your soft and yummy garlic bread is ready and can be served as a snack with coffee or hot soup. It can also be used as a side dish for pasta.
If you prefer to give a crispy and toasted effect to your garlic bread then cut the baguette bread horizontally and then follow the same steps. Bake it without covering it with an aluminium foil. You can also make slight innovations by adding various cheeses like mozzarella, cheddar or feta. Or you could also use olive oil instead of butter.
As you now know how to make garlic bread with regular bread it is important to know its calorie value also. The blend of bread and garlic is one of the healthiest combinations anyone can opt for. Garlic which is the main flavouring ingredient has a number of sulphur-containing chemicals that helps to increase the immune system. It also has a natural antibacterial, anti-fungal and anti-viral effect on body. It helps to clean the blood. One must include garlic in his daily diet as it helps to reduce the possibility of heart attack and cancer. It also reduces the tumours in stomach, colon, and breast.
How To Make Garlic Bread - Video
Thelma Alberts from Germany and Philippines on January 26, 2013:
Yummy! I love garlic bread with olive oil. This makes me hungry now. Thanks for sharing;-)