Cooking is one of my passions. I like to make nutritious and tasty foods at home without using preservatives and artificial colors.
A Nutritious and Delightful Snack to Enjoy the Evening!
Masala puri chaat is one of my favorite evening snacks. Many times, I buy them in a restaurant or food street. Sometimes, I make this snack at home during weekends. For making this snack, you have to make green peas gravy. Once you make the green peas gravy, you are almost done!
Making this gravy in a pressure cooker saves cooking time. Also, green peas cooked this way will have a nice texture. I made masala puri chaat for 6 people, and it took me about an hour.
For making masala puri chaat you have to soak dried green peas in the water at least for 10 hours. Also, don't forget to buy puris from the grocery store!
Now, I will show you in detail how to make masala puri chaat.
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
1 hour 5 min
Serves 6 people
Ingredients for Making Masala Puri Chaat
For the Gravy:
- 1 cup dried green peas, soaked in the water for 10 hours
- 2 medium-sized potatoes
- 1 onion
- 10 cloves garlic
- 1 inch ginger, roughly chopped
- 4 green chilies
- 2 tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons mint leaves
- 1/2 cup coriander leaves
- 2 teaspoons red chili powder
- 2 teaspoons garam masala powder
- 1/2 teaspoon chaat masala
- 1 teaspoon jaggery powder
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, or as needed
For serving (per serve):
- 8 puris
- 1 teaspoon sev, for topping
- 1 teaspoon onions, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon tomatoes, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander leaves, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon sweet and sour chutney, optional, I served
- Soak dried green peas in water for 10 hours or overnight. The next morning, drain the water.
- Add green peas, water, some salt, some oil, and peeled potatoes into a pressure cooker.
- Cook it up to 4 whistles and simmer for 2 minutes. Turn off heat. Keep aside.
- Take out the potatoes. Mash them.
- Heat the remaining oil in a deep bottomed pan. Throw in the ginger, garlic, and chopped onions. Saute them for a minute. Add mint leaves and coriander leaves. Continue sauteing until they wilt. Turn off the heat.
- Transfer the mixture to a mixer or blender. Add chopped tomatoes and green chilies to it. Grind to get a smooth paste.
- Add it to the same pan. Saute until it becomes almost dry. Add garam masala powder, red chili powder, turmeric powder, coriander powder, amchur powder, chaat masala, and jaggery.
- Saute it for a few seconds. Add the cooked green peas and mashed potatoes. Boil the mixture for 2 to 3 minutes. Turn off heat. Now, the gravy for making masala puri chaat is ready!
- For serving masala puri chaat, crush the puris and spread on a serving plate. Stir the gravy nicely before serving. Add 4 to 6 tablespoons of it to the crushed puris.
- If you have sweet-sour chutney at home, add a little. If you don't have one, skip it.
- Top it with chopped onions, tomatoes, fresh coriander leaves, and fine sev.
- Serve it hot. Enjoy this healthy and delightful snack in the evening!
ShailaSheshadri (author) from Bengaluru on February 24, 2020:
Thanks, Kathryn Worthington, for your sweet words. This dish is nutritious and delicious as well. Please try it!
Kathryn Worthington from Oxford, UK on February 24, 2020:
This looks delicious! Definately one to add to my list of dishes to try!
ShailaSheshadri (author) from Bengaluru on February 23, 2020:
Umesh Chandra Bhatt from Kharghar, Navi Mumbai, India on February 23, 2020:
Good article. Nice recipe.