I like to share creative ideas for moms, DIY, family fun, crafts, travel, recipes, party planning, shopping, discounts, gifts, and more.
Homemade Margherita Pizza is a light, fresh pizza with olive oil, garlic, fresh tomatoes, basil, ricotta and mozzarella cheeses. Once you start making your own pizza at home you may find that you and your family prefer fresh homemade pizza. You may even skip the trip to Pizza Hut or cancel the call to Dominoes!
Making pizza at home is easy and much cheaper than buying pizza from a pizzeria. It's also an easy way to get the family involved by turning dinner into a pizza party.
Here are some ideas for your pizza party toppings. You can purchase bowls and plasticware at the dollar store to set a festive table of red & white like a pizzeria. Fill the bowls with the toppings and signs, leave a space for guests to lay their pizza dough on the table, and you're all set. Everyone takes their own pizza dough and tops it with their favorite pizza ingredients. Bake and enjoy, it's quick, easy and fun!
Pizza Topping Ideas
- Cherry Tomatoes
- Andouille sausage
- Smoked Gouda Cheese
- BBQ Chicken
- Porcini Mushrooms
- Fresh Mozzarella
- Roasted Garlic
- Feta Cheese
- Green Peppers
- Carmelized Onions
- Pine Nuts
The History of Pizza
For centuries pizza was considered a peasant's meal in Italy according to food historian. Basically a bread cooked over hot coals and bricks and then topped with seasonings and meats and eaten with the hands. Modern pizza invention has been credited to Naples baker Raffaele Esposito. In 1889 he opened his restaurant, Pizzeria di Pietro, where he served "pizza" created especially for the visit of Italian King Umberto and Queen Margherita.
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
You can buy your pizza dough in the freezer section of the supermarket, you could stop in your local pizzaria and ask if they will sell you a few balls of pizza dough, or you can make your own homemade pizza dough.
Margherita Pizza Ingredients
- 1 ball of pizza dough
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 4 oz mozzarella cheese, sliced
- 1 cup frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained
- 2 Tablespoons minced garlic
- 12 large fresh basil leaves
- 8 Roma tomatoes, sliced
- 4 Tablespoons oil
Instructions for homemade Margherita Pizza
- Prepare the dough ball by cutting it in half and shaping each half of dough into a circle with with your fingers and rolling pin. Sprink a little oil over the dough and bake at 350 degrees for about 10 minutes, or until lightly browned.
- Mix the ricotta, minced garlic and spinach in a small bowl. Slice tomatoes and mozzarella
- Spread a tablespoon of oil around on each circle of baked dough. Top with slices of tomato, slices of mozzarella, and dabs of ricotta mixture. Bake at 350 for 5 to 7 minutes or until cheese is melted.
- Remove pizza from oven, top with some torn basil leaves. Enjoy!
Thin Crust or Thick Crust?
© 2012 MomsTreasureChest
Homemade Margherita Pizza Recipe Comments
YogaKat from Oahu Hawaii on September 08, 2012:
Margherita pizza is my favorite kind of pizza . . . and now I know a little bit about itʻs history. This recipe has me drooling . . .I will be trying it very soon.
Sasha Kim on September 04, 2012:
MMM my favorite kind of pizza!! The ricotta on pizza is something spectacular! ^_^ Great job! Voted up and shared