I am a pastry chef. My passion is baking mouthwatering sweet treats and desserts.
Why a Carrot Cake makes the perfect cake
Everybody loves to enjoy and to eat a mouthwatering dessert cake regularly, but since most of them aren't healthy, we shouldn't.
This super light carrot cake is the solution for our problem. Since it doesn't have butter or heavy ingredients, it's super easy to digest & doesn't have that many calories as a chocolate cake.
Of course, this doesn't mean that a carrot cake is less delicious, as a matter of fact, this carrot cake is mouthwatering delicious. Once it's in the oven and you start to smell the aroma's, you will start to long for a piece.
I personally like to add a little bit of cream on top of the cake. This can be whipped cream, a homemade vanilla pudding, a delicious mascarpone cream or any other type of cream.
I hope you will love this carrot cake as much as I do!
Preparation Time for a Delicious Carrot Cake
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
Serves up to 10 people
- 175ml/ 5174 fl oz sunflower oil
- 175g/ 6,2 ounces brown caster sugar
- 3 eggs
- 175g/ 6,2ounces carrots, grated
- 175g/ 6,2 ounces flour
- 1 teaspoon/ 10g/ 0.35 ounces cinnamon
- 1 bag/ 15g/ 0,52 ounces baking powder
Optional, in case you want to add even more flavor in the batter:
- 80g / 2,82 ounces raisins, cut in little pieces
- 60g/ 2,11 ounces walnuts, cut in little pieces
- 300ml/ 10,14 fl oz whipped cream, whipped up
- 40g/ 1,41 ounces sugar
How to make your delicious carrot cake:
- Preheat the oven on 180 degrees Celsius/ 356 degrees Fahrenheit. Grease a baking tray and put baking paper on the sides.
- Mix the oil, sugar and eggs in a big bowl. Once it's a smooth mass add the carrots (and the raisins & walnuts in case you make the batter with them).
- Once the carrots are well mixed in the batter you can add the flour, baking powder and cinnamon and mix it all until it's a smooth mass.
- Now you can put the batter in the prepared baking tray and put it in the oven.
- Bake the carrot cake for 45 minutes. After this time it should be ready. You can try to put a fork inside the cake, if it comes outside clean, the cake is ready and you can take it out of the oven.
- If you use a metal tray let the cake cool down for about 5 minutes, and put it on a grill. Now it can cool down more. If you use a silicon tray, you can leave the cake in it until the cake is cooled down enough to take the cake outside the tray with your bare hands.
- Whip up the whipped cream until it has a good creamy density. Now you can add the sugar and mix until the sugar is well mixed in the whipped cream.
- Once the cake is cooled down, you can put the whipped cream on top of the carrot cake and you can cut it in pieces. I hope you enjoyed the process of making this delicious dessert cake!
- You can store the cake covered outside the fridge at room temperature. If you added the frosting, you can keep the cake covered in the fridge. It lasts up to 4 days in the fridge.
The History of Carrot Cake
People tend to believe that the carrot cake was discovered in a period where food was scarce, but that's not the truth.
In the 19th century the rich Elite loved the carrot cake. People found recipe books of luxury kitchens in French villa's with recipes of carrot cakes in there.
But humans started to eat carrot cakes a much longer time ago. According to historians, the modern carrot cake has descended from Medieval carrot puddings.
As sugar & sweeteners were difficult and expensive to come by in England, people used carrots as sugar substitute. The oldest carrot cake recipe that has been found dates back to the 13th century.
At that time cakes were more like enriched types of flat bread. The bread was often enriched with eggs or fats. The ancient Romans also made types of enriched bread, that looked more like cakes. But for them it always was 'normal' bread.
Over time this 'carrot pudding' changed as the kitchen evolved. Ovens as we know them were invented, the carrot pudding became dryer and the cake became lighter and had more flour and fat in it. Piece by piece bakers improved the recipe to get the carrot cake that we know & love today!