Ashly shares food made with LOVE! A self-taught mom chef of three boys, she comes from a long line of amazing homemakers with food flair!
It is the morning after the busy holiday festivities. Most of Mom's brain work for the past 48 hours had been dumped into planning every detail of the holiday meal. Now, the day after sending some leftover plates with loved ones, the remainder of the leftovers stare back as the fridge doors reveal its remains. She considers herself, the picky palates of the multitude of children, and of course her daughters who know better than to question what Mom decides.
Momma LeeLee pulls out containers filled with Ham, Turkey, Stuffing, Mashed Potatoes, and Gravy. It only takes a few moments of brainstorming, browsing through cabinets for more ingredients that may spark creativity. BAM BAE! She grabs flour tortillas and a bag of cheese, pulls out a non stick skillet and some oil as her daughters watch with curiosity in the midst of chasing after the flock of children in every corner of the house.
And so.....The Events Unfold.....Read on....Your Tastebuds Will Thank You!!
Utilizing Holiday leftovers into a new masterpiece
Remember Learn Repeat
Cooking is and extension of Love
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
Serves 4 to 6 people approx
- 1/4 cup ham or turkey, use desired amount
- 1 package 8 inch tortillas
- 3 tablespoons per burrito mashed potatoes
- 3 tablespoons per burrito stuffing
- Sprinkle cheese, (as much or as little cheese as desired)
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil, (or oil of choice)
Add oil of choice to hot pan allow a couple minutes to reach hot temperature for frying burritos
Take a tortilla and dip both sides in the oil, only for a second or two
Doing this allows the tortilla to become very flexible as well as coats the tortilla for a crisp, even fry job!
Time to start Filling the Burrito!
First layer, I like to start with cheese!
Why? The cheese will create an adhesive as it melts and hold the outside of your burrito together
Use desired amount, save room for the rest of your ingredients, you wouldn't want to run out of room, overstuff or tear your burrito
Cut up leftover meat into small bite size pieces
Add your leftover ham, turkey, chicken or whatever meat you have chosen.
Add Bite sized leftover meat
A few Dallops of mashed potatoes
feel free to experiment with various holiday leftovers to incorporate into your leftover holiday burritos! Ex: cranberries, corn, green bean casserole, etc etc.
Roll up Burrito!
To Properly roll burrito:
- First, fold burrito in half to meet edges together
- Then, pull the tortilla back against the food,
- Next, you want to fold and secure your edges, sides, so that nothing spills out
- Tuck in both sides
- Tightly Roll burrito into perfection
Time to crisp up & fry the Burrito!
Place 1 to 3 burritos in frying pan, Do not over crowd your pan
Once side has crisped up to a perfect golden brown,
Turn and fry other side
Remove and place on plate layered with paper towels to drain grease
Serve with Warm Gravy as a Dipping Sauce & Devour!
Good Food = Happy Kids
One Stop Instructions
- Add Oil to hot pan allow to heat up
- Dip Tortilla in Oil for a couple seconds each side to coat Remove from pan
- Layer it up! Add cheese Mashed Potatoes Stuffing Meat (bite sized pieces) (any other desired holiday leftover fillings)
- Roll up into Burrito Fry both sides to nice golden brown
- Let cool allow excess oil drain onto paper towel
- Serve with hot Gravy as a dipping sauce Enjoy!
Ashly Christen (author) from Illinois on November 15, 2019:
I love curry! Sounds fabulous! Thank you for sharing hopefully I can try it soon
Lorna Lamon on November 14, 2019:
Hi Ashly, It's really simple and can be made very quickly. I usually take all the leftover vegetables and turkey and put them into a pan with curry paste and coconut milk to simmer. I usually serve it with pitta bread and rice. Quick and easy.
Ashly Christen (author) from Illinois on November 13, 2019:
Thank you Lorna! Now I am curious about this curry you make!
Lorna Lamon on November 13, 2019:
Such a delicious way to use up those leftovers. I usually put them into a curry, however, I will definitely be giving these Burritos a try. Thank you for sharing.