Cooking and traveling, The most I like to do. Learning the cooking culture of different places is also one of my hobbies.
I have tried a lot of soups, all of them are good, but the one I like the most is a "vegetable soup".
I am inspired to make this recipe by my grandma. Hmmm it was “yummy, tasty and healthy too…” In the 90's after school days, in summer holidays I used to go to my grandma's home. All together we kids playing in hot summer reuin all our energy and strength, then my grandma used to prepare, it's like soup nowadays. She used to boil all the vegetables and add some pepper powder and salt, to all kids saying that “Have it and make some strength.” Love you grandma to build our strength by making such an awesome recipe. Now I made a try with a little more vegetables, hoping that I will give the best, trying to match my grandma.
In my experience, having soup in all the seasons helps to keep your body strong and healthy. Spices and herbs boost the immune system, which is good to fight against many bacteria and viruses. And vegetables, which are rich in fibres, proteins and vitamins, gives energy and boosts the digestive system. Soup not only keeps you strong but creates a good mood too. So try to prepare in your home and enjoy!
It is nothing but the liquid you get after the boiling of vegetables, spices and herbs together.
1/2 bunch of celery
Peppercorns (5-6 corns)
Basil (4-5 leaf)
Boiling together all these ingredients releases their characteristic aroma and flavour of vegetables, spices and herbs to form a stock which is used as a base to prepare the soup.
- Any 1 or 2 Spices and Herbs can be used. I will be using Thyme, because it gives good aroma and flavour. Using 2 or more spices in a soup may disturb the taste.
- Never add salt in a stock.
Preparing the vegetable stock
- Have a cooking pan/a vessel on a gas, add water (1ltr) and add cutted vegetables, vegetables are peeled, washed and chopped roughly medium size pieces.
- After that add some herbs. I am going to use Basil, it gives good aroma and flavour to the stock.
- Next add some spices (peppercorn 6-7 corns and bay leaf -1).
- Now let the ingredients boil for 5-6 min. After boiling let the mixture simmer for 2 hours.
- After cooking/simmering for 2 hours, This process can be done in a pressure cooker, pressure cook the mixture till 4 whistles and then release the pressure, switch off the gas and strain the liquid through the strainer (It's better to get a clear stock strain in a muslin cloth).
- Now you can use it to prepare the soup or you can store to prepare it later.
- For storage wait till it cools, then store the stock in a refrigerator or in a deep freezer. Use whenever required.
- The benefit of cooking for 2 hours is, all the vegetables release slowly their natural oil and essential elements. My pressure cooking may not be the most useful.
- This stock cannot be stored for more than a week.
Preparing of vegetable soup
- Fresh vegetables such as beans, cauliflower, cabbage, corn, bok choy and spices are pepper powder and fresh herb ‘Thyme’. For garnishing we will be using parsley.
- Now evenly chopped small sized vegetables are fried for 2-3 min with small quantities of olive oil or in butter.
- Now we are going to add vegetable water or stock and mix well, add some pepper powder and salt.
- Leave the stock simmer for a while, meanwhile add little thyme and simmer some more time, that is for 2 more minutes.
- Finally our soup is ready, garnish with parsley and serve hot.
Nutritional facts of the soup
Mixed vegetable soup is a good source of protein, vitamins, fibres and many minerals. Most vegetables such as cauliflower, cabbage, carrot and beans have high content of fibre, proteins and vitamins (vitamin B12) , Adding celery and bok choy to soup is very useful which have high sources of Vitamin C, which intensely boost the immune system. Hence soups are the heavy package of energy sources. Regular intake of soups keeps the body hydrated and healthy (At Least twice a day).
Know Interesting facts about vegetables
For each question, choose the best answer. The answer key is below.
- Which one is the highest nutritional value among these vegetables?
- Which vegetable is known as king of vegetables?
- Rieged gourd
- Which fruit is the king of fruits?