I'm one of those people who lives to eat rather than eating to live. I love good food, and I love sharing healthy and delicious recipes.
Finally a Delicious Muffin Recipe That You Don't Have to Feel Guilty About
I have to admit that when it comes to my eating habits, I'm a little bit picky. I want my food to be delicious, but more importantly, I want it to be healthy. When I can find a recipe that gives me a finished product that is healthy and delicious at the same time, I'm in heaven.
Most people consider muffins to be healthy because they are a breakfast food, and I suppose that "healthy" is a relative term. What one person may consider healthy, might not be healthy to someone else.
Well, just so you have a little background on me, my version of healthy means trying to avoid unnecessary sugar as much as possible, and that's often hard to do when it comes to muffin recipes.
Most muffin recipes are more like a desert than a breakfast food. You might as well put some frosting on them and serve them up as cupcakes at your next birthday party.
While this recipe does have 10 grams of sugar per 2 muffin serving (which is actually an extremely small amount compared to most muffin recipes), I feel better knowing that most of that sugar comes from bananas, and that those bananas (along with the whole wheat flour) provide the fiber necessary to help my body process that sugar.
I also wanted to be sure to point out that since this recipe uses coconut oil, the fats in this recipe are actually good for you.
Obviously, it's important to be moderate and not overdo it with fats, but you don't have to worry too much about the fats in this recipe.
This particular muffin recipe will deliver a delicious (low sugar) breakfast that tastes like a desert while still giving you the type of nutrition that you want to start out your day with.
Learn about why I decided to cut the extra sugar out of my diet here...
- The Dangers of Sugar Addiction: Why to Kick the Habit and Some Tips to Help You Along the Way
Most people don't realize the harmful effects that the sugary foods they eat are having on their bodies. Sugar is addicting, but it's worth giving up and you can do it!
Easy Variation to Make a Loaf of Bread
If you feel like you are more in the mood for banana bread than banana muffins, don't worry. This recipe will still work great!
All you have to do is put the batter into a prepared loaf pan and then adjust the cooking time as described in the instructions below, and you will end up with a delicious and nutritious loaf of bread.
- When making banana bread or banana muffins, the riper the bananas are the better. That means that those mushy brown bananas that you were about to throw away, could be the perfect bananas for this recipe.
- While I normally prepare my baked goods in my Bosch, when I'm making muffins, I mix my batter by hand instead. When making muffins you want to be sure that you don't over-mix, and mixing the batter by hand is the easiest way for me to be sure that the batter ends up being just right.
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
About 2 dozen muffins (25 minutes per batch)
Healthy Whole Wheat Banana Muffins
- 2 1/4 cups Whole Wheat Flour
- 3/4 tsp. Baking Soda
- 1/4 tsp. Salt
- 3 Ripe Bananas, Mashed
- 1/4 cup Plain Yogurt
- 1/4 cup Honey
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup coconut oil
- 1 tsp Vanilla
- 1/2 tsp Cinnamon, or more if you like lots of cinnamon like I do
- chocolate chips, optional
- walnuts, optional
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Whisk together the flour, baking soda , salt, and cinnamon.
- In a separate bowl, mix mashed bananas with yogurt, honey, eggs, and vanilla
- Fold the banana mixture into the flour mixture until blended. Do not over-mix.
- Line muffin pan with muffin cups (or grease and flour a loaf pan if you prefer to make a loaf of bread instead of muffins).
- Pour batter into muffin cups (or prepared loaf pan).
- Bake for 25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean (40-50 minutes for a loaf of bread).
A Recipe Worth Sharing
I hope that this recipe will become a household favorite for your family like it is for mine. these muffins are great for breakfast, but in my opinion, they're a fantastic healthy snack any time of the day, so make them often!
If you get a chance to try my recipe out, please take the time to rate it after enjoying your delicious muffins.
I hope this becomes one of those go to recipes that you enjoy so much that you end up sharing it with others as well.
What do you think of this recipe?
Susan Hazelton from Sunny Florida on October 11, 2018:
This recipe sounds amazing. I know I will be trying it. My family is sure to love it.