Cooking is one of my passions. I like to make nutritious and tasty foods at home.
Instant Lentil Dosa (Adai Dosa)
This crepe is popularly called 'Adai Dosa'. You can make this crepe either for breakfast or for the evening snack. Lentils are nutrient-dense and tasty as well.
Though lentils tend to induce gas in the stomach, ginger and asafoetida used in the recipe prevent from producing the gas. This crepe is mildly flavored and spicy. Eat the crepe hot because it loses crunchiness when it turns cold.
Health benefits of eating lentils:
Lentils are a good source of calcium, potassium, zinc, niacin, and vitamin K. They are especially rich in dietary fiber, lean protein, folate, and iron. As per the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention reports, eating plenty of nutrient-rich foods like lentils lower the risk of many serious medical issues. Lentils are low in calories and high in nutrients.
1. Lowers cholesterol: Lentils contain high levels of soluble fiber that help in reducing blood cholesterol. Lowering cholesterol means keeping good heart health and preventing stroke.
2. Good for digestion: Insoluble fiber found in lentils help in preventing constipation and other digestive disorders like irritable bowel syndrome and diverticulosis.
3. Maintain blood sugar levels: The soluble fiber in lentils trap carbohydrates, slowing down the digestion and stabilizing the blood sugar levels. This can be a special help for those with diabetes, hypoglycemia, or insulin resistance.
4. Heart health: Many studies have shown that eating fiber-rich foods like lentils reduces the risk of heart disease. Lentils are also a great source of folate and magnesium which are good contributors for heart health. Folate lowers homocysteine level, a potential risk factor for heart disease. Magnesium improves blood flow, oxygen, and nutrients throughout the body. Thus keeping your heart happy!
5. A Major source of Protein: Lentils contain a good quantity of protein. 26% of lentils' calories are attributed to the protein which makes it a wonderful source of protein for vegetarians and vegans as well.
6. Weight Loss: Lentils are low in calories though they include all beneficial nutrients like fiber, protein, minerals and vitamins. They contain nearly zero fat. One cup of cooked lentils contains only 230 calories but makes you feel full and satisfied.
7. Boosts energy: Lentils help in releasing slow-burning energy due to its' fiber and complex carbohydrates. As they are a good source of iron, they transport oxygen throughout your body and this is the key to energy production and for a great metabolism.
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
- 1/2 cup (small cup) split chickpeas
- 1/2 cup (small cup) white raw rice
- 1/2 cup (small cup) split blackgram
- 1/4 cup (small cup) mung bean
- 1/4 cup (small cup) pigeon peas
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1-2 red chili, long one, dry
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/2 inch ginger
- 2 pinches asafoetida/hing powder, optional
- 1/6 cup (small cup) onion
- 1 spring curry leaves, or 8 leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- oil or butter, for making crepes
- In a bowl, add white raw rice, split black gram, split chickpea, pigeon pea, and mung beans. Wash them. Discard the water. Soak in the freshwater for 4-5 hours. Add cumin seeds.
- Strain and separate the water. Keep this water aside and use it while grinding.
- Add the mixture to a mixer jar. Add red chili, chopped onion, asafoetida, curry leaves, ginger, and turmeric.
- Grind adding the soaked water to get a near-smooth and pouring consistency batter. Add salt. Mix well.
- Keep it aside for resting. You can make crepes instantly. However, resting the batter for 2-3 hours gives good results.
- Add two tablespoons of finely chopped coriander/cilantro leaves(optional) to the batter. Mix well. Adjust the consistency by adding more water.
- Heat flat pan. Grease it with oil or ghee. Better you use a non-stick pan if you have. Pour a ladle full of batter in the center of the pan. Spread it with the help of the ladle bottom by moving it in the circular pattern till the edges. Refer to the pic.
- Sprinkle a few drops of oil or butter on top of the lentil crepe. Fold it into the half when it gets golden brown.
- Place the crepe on a serving plate. Serve it hot with coconut chutney or honey. Honey is a good combination for this dish.