Healthy Recipes - Pennsylvania Dutch Potato Salad
There are so many potato salad recipes out there that it is hard to remember which ones are the best or which ones I consider my favorites.
However, a few summers ago, I stumbled across this Pennsylvania Dutch Potato Salad recipe and I have been making it ever since.
That is saying a lot, because I have a traditional old world potato salad that I recreated from memory that my grandmother used to make and which was always everyone's favorite at my house. Now they have all changed ship to speak and this is their 'new' favorite. Although I do make the other one every once in a while, this recipe definitely is a keeper!
Photo Credit: Flickr BanjoBrown
Pennsylvania Dutch Potato Salad
Makes 8 servings (serving size: 1 1/4 cups)
- 2-3/4 pounds Yukon gold potatoes or use small red potatoes
- 2 cups chopped sweet onion
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup shredded carrot
- 2 large hard-boiled eggs, chopped
- 3 bacon slices, diced
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon dry mustard
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- Place potatoes in a large saucepan; cover with water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes or until tender.
- Cool 10 minutes. (I generally run under cold water and drain). Peel if desired and chop.
- Combine potatoes, onion, celery, carrot, and chopped eggs in a large bowl.
- Cook bacon in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat until crisp.
- Remove bacon from pan with a slotted spatula and drain on paper towel. Keep 2 tablespoons of bacon drippings in pan.
- Combine sugar, 1/2 cup water, white vinegar, cider vinegar, salt, pepper, mustard, and 2 uncooked eggs in a bowl and stir with a whisk.
- Add sugar mixture to drippings in the pan and cook 8 minutes over medium heat or until slightly thick, stirring constantly with a whisk.
- Pour sugar mixture over the potato mixture, stirring gently to combine.
- Add reserved bacon and parsley and lightly toss to coat.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.
Fat: 7.5g (sat 2.7g,mono 2.4g,poly 0.7g)
Summing Up Pennsylvania Dutch Potato Salad
Pennsylvania Dutch Potato Salad is actually very similar to Hot German Potato Salad. It has a marvelous flavor and is cooked a bit different than the traditional potato salads that I have previously made.
I love this potato salad for the different flavors that are imparted by the bacon pieces and also by the combination of mustard, vinegars and egg. While it is rather like a 'cooked mayonnaise' dressing that you are putting on the potatoes, just the fact that it is cooked makes me really love it! I'm not a huge fan of using mayonnaise in recipes and this recipe sold me on this cooking technique.
Try this recipe with different kinds of firm, flavorful potatoes. You can also use brown onions rather than sweet but I prefer the sweet onions.
If you are looking for a different kind of potato salad, make sure you check out the lemon basil potato salad on the video also.
More Sources for Potato Salad Recipes
- Four Unusual Homemade Potato Salad Recipes: German, French, Yankee and Beet Variations
The humble potato has been taken for granted for centuries, but few people can ignore it when it is prepared in a tasty salad. Here are four variations of a classic.
- Potato Salad Recipes like German Potato Salad or Sweet Potato Salad Recipes
Recipes for potato salad with reviews and photos. Over 500 kinds of potato salad from Greek to German to sweet potato.
- Cooks.com - Recipe - Pennsylvania Dutch Potato Salad
- Potato Salad Recipes
- Potato Salad Recipes - Favorite Recipes for Potato Salad
Potato salad recipes include picnic potato salad, sour cream potato salad, warm potato salad with green beans, and many other favorite potato salad recipes.
More Hubs on Potato Salads
- Quick and Easy Potato Salad
There's nothing I like better in the summertime than a good potato salad. I have several different recipes for different types of potato salad, and there's one thing that most of them have in common. Most...
- Refreshingly New & Spicy Colman's Mustard Potato Sal...
Vintage Colman's Mustard Ad
- Awesome Potato Salad Recipe
This potato salad recipe is a no-fail crowd pleaser. If you want less fat, try the lighter version. Great side dish to your next BBQ!
- Homemade Mustard Potato Salad Recipe
This American-style mustard potato salad recipe uses soft and tender boiled russet potatoes, hardboiled eggs, sweet pickle relish, mayonnaise, and mustard for a sweet and creamy traditional taste with a little spicy bite to it. It can be served cold
- The Best Potato Salad Recipe
I enjoy potatoes, baked, home fried, French fried, mashed, boiled and of course in a potato salad. There are many different ways to make a potato salad, hot, cold and using baked potatoes, for...
- German Potato Salad Recipe
This is an authentic, easy recipe for German Potato Salad. The ingredients are very basic, but make sure you make the salad the day before you plan on serving it.
- Potato Salad Recipe
Potato Salad Recipe Southern Style Potato Salad is a must have for any festive holiday occasion. We make Potato Salad for Memorial Day, July Fourth and Labor Day. Potato Salad is a staple of America...
- Potato Salad a South African Version
This magical salad, a really great all year round salad, is a deluxe version of the potato salad that I made every other day whilst working in a German Sausage shop in sunny South Africa. You ask what are...
- Potato Salad Recipes
Potato salad is a dish that is synonymous with summer cook outs and parties, but really it's great year-round. It's always a crowd pleaser at potlucks and pairs well with so many dishes from fried chicken to...
Warm German Potato Salad Part 1
Warm German Potato Salad Part 2
Pennsylvania Dutch Recipe
Perfect Potato Salad
Country Potato Salad
Lemon Basil Potato Salad
How to Make Standard Potato Salad
Korean Potato Salad
German Potato Salad
Audrey Kirchner (author) from Washington on August 01, 2011:
Gotta love a guy in the kitchen!!!
Dan on August 01, 2011:
I do enjoy a good potato salad. The Pennsylvania Dutch Potato Salad is on my must prepare list.
Audrey Kirchner (author) from Washington on June 20, 2010:
Dolores - That's what sold me on it, too - the mayo - I love the flavors of it and even though at first I was skeptical, now it's my favorite recipe!
Micky - Anything will be good with watermelon margaritas!
Micky Dee on June 20, 2010:
I bet this would be great with Watermelon Margaritas!
Dolores Monet from East Coast, United States on June 20, 2010:
I am a nut for potato salad, and if it's PA Dutch, it has to be good. I'd like to cut down on the mayo intake around here, and the vinegar sounds delicious.
Audrey Kirchner (author) from Washington on June 18, 2010:
Spanky - me, too! This one is really, really good with the cooked dressing.
Hello, hello - I think you'll love this one!
Hello, hello, from London, UK on June 18, 2010:
I love potato salads and make them often. I will try other one. Sounds great. Thank you
Holle Abee from Georgia on June 17, 2010:
Yum! I love tater salad!
Audrey Kirchner (author) from Washington on June 17, 2010:
Thanks, Darski - I just keep cooking so I have to keep finding new recipes! Love this one best of all for potato salad though.
Darlene Sabella from Hello, my name is Toast and Jam, I live in the forest with my dog named Sam ... on June 17, 2010:
Now my dear friend, this is my style of cooking lol, just mix it all together and off I go...love this recipe and love your style. My vote is for you, your fan and friend, darski, thumbs up and useful