Cooking is one of my passions. I like to make nutritious and tasty foods at home without using preservatives or artificial colors.
About Mogem (Madras Cucumber)
Mogem has many names. It is called as madras cucumber, Mangalore sautekai , colored cucumber, etc. This vegetable belongs to cucumber family. It has colorful thick outer skin and soft white flesh. The center part has plenty of seeds. These seeds are edible.
You can make a drink by grinding these seeds with curd/yogurt. You have to strain it before drinking. The outer skin can be used to make chutney.
This vegetable is cold. The raw dishes made from mogem are perfect for the hot summer months. They have a cooling effect on your body.
|Prep time||Ready in||Yields|
- 2 1/2 cups mogem (madras cucumber), skin peeled, flesh finely chopped
- 1/2 cup grated coconut
- 2 green chilies
- 1/4 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 2 pinches hing/asafoetida
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, or as per taste
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds, for the tempering
- 1/2 teaspoon dehusked black lentil or urad dal, optional, for the tempering
- 8 curry leaves, for the tempering
- 1 red chili, for the tempering
- 2 teaspoons ghee or oil, for the tempering
- 2 tablespoons onion, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 cup thick curd or yogurt, for the raita
- Chop the mogem (madras cucumber) flesh as directed. Collect it in a mixer/blender jar.
- Add grated coconut, green chilies, mustard seeds, hing/asafoetida, and salt. Grind to get a near smooth sauce. No need to add water while grinding. Mogem contains water and is sufficient for grinding. However, if you feel the mix is dry, you can add a little water.
- Collect the sauce in a mixing bowl. Add thick curd or yogurt. Mix well. Check for taste. Add salt if needed.
- Add chopped onion. Mogemraita is ready! Let us make tempering to make it tastier.
- For making tempering, take ghee or oil in a small pan. Add mustard seeds. Let it pop. Throw in dehusked black lentil. Fry till it turns golden. Add curry leaves and broken red chilies. Mix it once. Turn off the fire.
- Pour the tempering on the raita. Mix it with the sauce while serving.
- Serve raita with rice or as a side dish for any hot and spicy main course. Enjoy the taste!
- Store the remaining raita in the refrigerator. It turns sour if you keep it in the normal temperature for a long time. It remains fresh for a day in the refrigerator.
Other Similar Recipes
- Cucumber, Carrot, & Onion Raita (Salad) Recipe
Raita is a nutrient-rich, colorful side dish that adds extra kick to the main course. It has raw vegetables or fruits and is yogurt based. It's not too spicy, is appetizing, and is easy to digest.
- Tomato and Onion Raita: A Yogurt Based Curry Recipe
Raw veggies and yogurt in a spicy coconut sauce makes a tasty side dish. Tomato and onion raita is a raw dish and is loaded with various nutrients. You can make it in 10-15 minutes. Just try this!
ShailaSheshadri (author) from Bengaluru on May 08, 2017:
Thanks for reading my article. I don't know about Himalayan pink salt. Using table salt is not good for health because of the chemical process involved in making it white and free flowing.
sapphireb on May 08, 2017:
if you use himalayan pink salt good for you not bad for you! I like to use alot of salt and made a big difference to me switching from normal table salt.