Nyesha loves writing about cooking/recipes, restaurants, movies, weddings, and poetry.
STRAWBERRY SHORTCAKE IN A MASON JAR : Can you save money & achieve a similar taste by attempting to prepare your favorite restaurant dishes at home?
SIMPLE RECIPE FOR DELICIOUS MASON JAR DESSERT - STRAWBERRY SHORTCAKE IN A MASON JAR
- You can research the ingredients and nutritional information of the dish (such as strawberry shortcake in a mason jar) if the restaurant website, in restaurant menu or other source makes the ingredient list and nutritional information list readily available
- Pay attention to your palate as you taste the dish (such a strawberry shortcake in a mason jar) prepared from the restaurant
- What is it about the restaurant food preparation technique that makes the particular food so appealing to you?
- Was the food presented a particular way, on a particular dish (food plating in an eyecatching plate, bowl, cup or jar)?
- Mason jar dessert recipes are becoming more and more popular nowadays.
- In the case of Red Lobster's strawberry shortcake in a mason jar, the moist layers of strawberries, cream and cake combined meant that the cake did not taste dry at all.
- The 3 ingredient combination of strawberries, cream and cake in STRAWBERRY SHORTCAKE IN A MASON JAR was very complementary.
Strawberry shortcake in a mason jar
The first time I tried strawberry shortcake in a mason jar was just a couple of short months ago. I really enjoyed this strawberry shortcake dessert purchased at a restaurant and looked forward to making a similar version of the strawberry shortcake dessert for myself sometime.
The restaurant where I purchased strawberry shortcake in a mason jar is Red Lobster.
- The cost of the strawberry shortcake dessert was $5.29 and the presentation was not literally in a mason jar but rather in a plastic cup because I did not eat the strawberry shortcake in the restaurant.
- I ordered the strawberry shortcake to go. Nevertheless, the food presentation was still very nice as I received it.
Please rate this super easy 3 item recipe for a strawberry dessert
One of the best desserts - strawberry shortcake with cream
This strawberry shortcake dessert was truly enjoyable. It is one of my favorite desserts in general and it is my favorite dessert that Red Lobster offers.
Over the years, I have tried quite a few of Red Lobster's desserts including key lime pie, ice cream, chocolate cake and brownie sundaes. The way the restaurant prepares this strawberry shortcake in a mason jar is very good.
- there are rich, discernible layers of very fresh pieces of strawberries, cream and cake pieces
- each bite is yummier than the one before!
Preparing restaurant style dessert (such as strawberry shortcake in a mason jar) at home
I enjoyed the Red Lobster strawberry shortcake in a mason jar dessert so much. The generous portion of strawberry shortcake took a while to eat. As I was enjoying the last bites of the strawberry shortcake with cream, I was already creating my master plan to prepare a copycat version of this dessert for myself one day!
Well, that day came just a few days ago. I took to the supermarket to purchase my ingredients and subsequently took to the kitchen. I love to give myself a challenge in the kitchen but what I ended up doing was not a challenge at all. It was really very easy.
In the end, I was quite thankful for how quick and easy it is to recreate the great taste of the Red Lobster dessert because these days, I haven't had much time for a lot of elaborate food preparation.
My children looked on, trying to "help" and could not wait to dig into this dessert!
STRAWBERRY SHORTCAKE IN A MASON JAR
Only the freshest and tastiest strawberries will do for preparing this strawberry shortcake in a mason jar
This no cook recipe for strawberry shortcake in a mason jar takes just 10 minutes or less!
|Prep time||Ready in||Yields|
presentation for 1 person but plenty to share
Super Easy Strawberry Shortcake in a Mason Jar Recipe with just 3 items
- 4-5 heaping table spoons Cool Whip Original, whipped topping
- 4 thin slices Entenmann's butter loaf, chopped - pound cake, sponge cake, angel food cake are all other options
- 6 large fresh strawberries, sliced or chopped
Instructions & budget for super easy strawberry dessert
- This cake dessert recipe is so easy and quick that it is barely worthy of instruction. Although you can choose to bake a cake from scratch and use it for this recipe, it is not necessary at all. No baking is needed. Choose a delicious homemade style cake that has color, taste and texture similar to pound cake or sponge cake for example. I chose Entenmann's butter loaf and could not be happier with that choice. It was perfect for this recipe.
- The butter loaf offers at least 8 servings & costs $4.79. You will be using less than 4 of the servings, by cutting 4 thin slices of the cake.
- After cutting the 4 thin slices of cake, cut those slices further into small squares. Set the cake squares aside on a disposable plate. Keeping a few disposable plates on hand for this project will make for a super quick and easy clean up.
Items that you will need to make this version of strawberry shortcake in a mason jar
Delicious Entenmann's all butter loaf cake
Wash fruit well before use and cut fruit slices
4. After cutting the cake and setting it aside on a plate, remove six of the largest, freshest, blemish free and bruise free strawberries from the strawberry container.
My container of strawberries usually cost $3.99 when I buy it on sale at my local supermarket. Regular price would be $5.99.
5. Wash the strawberries well in a colander & drain.
6. Pat the strawberries dry with a paper towel if further drying seems necessary and proceed to cut all of the green stems and leaves off.
7. Next, slice up all of the strawberries lengthwise or you might prefer just cutting them up in small chunks
8. Return all unused strawberries to the refrigerator in the sealed strawberry container to maintain freshness. Unfortunately, strawberries can go bad relatively quickly, so they should be used up within a few days or washed, placed in a freezer safe sealed container and frozen. Personally, I don't particularly like to freeze fresh fruit and thaw it to eat later. The family and I will just eat the fruit while it is fresh. Therefore, we don't stock up on more than we need at one time.
You might also choose instead to prepare multiple servings of the dessert at the same time perhaps for entertaining guests. There is enough cake, strawberries and whip cream for 3-4 mason jars full.
Layering the ingredients for Super easy 3 item strawberry dessert
9. In your clean mason jar, you can begin layering your ingredients. You can just use an estimate to divide each ingredient, ensuring that you have enough for layering. Cake as the very bottom layer, followed by strawberries on top of the cake and the Cool Whip whipped topping (or real whipped cream which I plan to use next time) on top of the strawberries makes for nice color contrast of that first layer and pretty food presentation.
I felt that the strawberries always looked great next to the Cool Whip whipped topping and the cake would not look as good right next to the whipped topping (or whipped cream) with the coloring between them being so close.
So most often, my layers would actually turn out as follows from bottom to top.:
- Cool Whip original whipped topping or if you prefer to use real whipped cream
- Cool Whip or whipped cream
No more than 4-5 heaping tablespoons of Cool Whip whipped topping, other brand of whipped topping or real whip cream is needed but you can also go according to your taste with less or more.
Cool Whip is usually $3 or less on a sale and a coupon might be available.
So, 3-4 mason jars full of this dessert with extra generous portions can potentially be made for under $12.
Enjoy your super easy 3 item strawberry dessert!
Strawberry shortcake in a mason jar
There is discussion among natural food enthusiasts...
Alternatives - for example, are you allergic to strawberries?
- If you would prefer to bake from scratch for this recipe, I'd like to recommend my Caribbean Style Sponge Cake or Pound Cake recipes to you for use if you don't already have a cake recipe in mind.
- Remember, you can always use real whipped cream instead of an imitation whipped topping. There are also many recipes available online for how to make your own whipped cream, if you prefer.
- Perhaps you might like to use vanilla pudding or vanilla custard as an alternative to whipped topping or whipped cream altogether.
- In the case of strawberry allergy or if you just don't like strawberries, there are fruit alternatives such as sliced peaches.
Allergy to strawberries is common among food allergies and of course, potentially severe
1. Yogi Berra & Kristi Yamaguchi - Entenmann's Commercial
2. Mason Jar Cake Tutorial
3. Banana Bread Baked in Jars | Banana Bread Recipe | Allrecipes.com
4. Trying All of Red Lobster's Most Famous Menu Items
© 2014 Nyesha Pagnou MPH
Nyesha Pagnou MPH (author) from USA on November 05, 2019:
You're welcome and thank you so much for your nice comment.
Peggy Woods from Houston, Texas on January 03, 2015:
Now that is an interesting concept and I agree that for picnics or for a kids birthday party this would probably be a big hit. Nice instructions! Thanks!
Nyesha Pagnou MPH (author) from USA on December 30, 2014:
Hi ChitrangadaSharan, thanks so much for your kind and supportive comment about this strawberry shortcake in a mason jar hub. Thanks for the vote up and pin to Pinterest!
Chitrangada Sharan from New Delhi, India on December 22, 2014:
Very nicely done hub and this recipe looks interesting to me!
I like anything with fresh fruits and I will definitely try this one.
Voted up and pinned!
Nyesha Pagnou MPH (author) from USA on December 14, 2014:
Hi tirelesstraveler, you're welcome & thanks so much for your nice comment!
Judy Specht from California on August 21, 2014:
Anything is yummy in a mason jar. Your directions are clear and easy to follow. Thanks for a new dessert idea.
Nyesha Pagnou MPH (author) from USA on August 10, 2014:
Hi MsDora, Yes, it would be pretty convenient to have a little less on the top, screw on the cover of the mason jar & carry the dessert along with you. Thanks very much for posting a comment. I'm really glad that you like this dessert recipe idea.
Dora Weithers from The Caribbean on August 08, 2014:
Journey, this is a great idea. I also like the suggestion from Teaches to pack it for a picnic. Thank you.
Nyesha Pagnou MPH (author) from USA on August 04, 2014:
Hi teaches12345, you're welcome & thanks so much for your comment & ideas. I love peaches as well & I've been using them a lot lately in different things.
Dianna Mendez on July 21, 2014:
I imagine this would be a great treat on a picnic. It is convenient to pack and looks so yummy. You could also try this with fresh peaches for a different taste. Thanks for the share.
Nyesha Pagnou MPH (author) from USA on July 19, 2014:
Hi RachaelOhalloran, thanks so much for stopping by and posting the 1st comment to this hub. I appreciate that & I'm so glad you think the dessert looks good.
Rachael O'Halloran from United States on July 12, 2014:
This looks scrumptious. I might give it a try :)