Rose is a full-time freelance writer who frequently writes about education, special education, DIY projects, food, Milwaukee, and more.
What kinds of popcorn recipes and ideas are great for fall?
- Halloween popcorn recipes
- Halloween popcorn balls
- Halloween popcorn packaging ideas
- More fall popcorn recipes
Popcorn is a delicious easy snack to make any time of the year. However, as the days grow shorter, the nights get cooler, and the leaves start to change, nothing sounds better than curling up with a blanket, a movie, and a bowl of popcorn in the evenings. Whether you're looking for new recipes to mix up your regular popcorn routine or you want something amazing to wow your kid's classmates at the school Halloween party, there are lots of great options. From Monster Munch popcorn bark to candy corn popcorn balls to pumpkin spice popcorn, you're sure to find something that fits the bill. Happy autumn!
Halloween Popcorn Recipes
- Candy corn popcorn. There are so many variations on candy corn popcorn that it can be a little overwhelming trying to pick just one. Bomb Shell Bling makes it with white chocolate chips while Sommer of A Spicy Perspective uses purple candy melts and Halloween sprinkles.
- Monster Munch popcorn. Are you familiar with monster cookies? You can apply this concept to virtually any dessert including popcorn. Just a few mix-in options include almond bark, candy corn, Reese's Pieces, sprinkles, and peanuts. Check out Sara's recipe at Our Best Bites. Crystal of A Pumpkin and a Princess kicks it up a notch with candy melts and edible monster eyes.
- Oreo cookie butter popcorn. Melanie of Reason to Skip the Housework takes her cookie butter recipe to the next level by pairing it with Oreos and adding the mixture to popcorn. If you want to make Halloween Oreo popcorn without the cookie butter, check out Amy of Sing for Your Supper's version.
- Twix caramel popcorn. Nothing says Halloween quite like over the top recipes with loads of candy. This Twix caramel popcorn recipe from Maria and Josh of Two Peas and Their Pod is no exception.
Halloween Popcorn Treats!
- Make Homemade Microwave Popcorn in Three Easy Steps: Video Demonstration
Avoid the artificial chemicals and flavors of commercial microwave popcorn packets and make your own nutritious, flavorful popcorn for pennies on the dollar! This video tutorial demonstrates how to make homemade microwave popcorn in three easy steps.
Halloween Popcorn Balls
- Candy corn popcorn balls. Of course you can't go wrong with candy corn in your popcorn balls for Halloween. Check out the recipe at Saving With Shellie.
- Candy / candy bar popcorn balls. Did you kids get lots of M&Ms or Reese's Pieces while trick or treating this year? I Heart Eating has a recipe that includes one or the other as well as mini marshmallows. Do you prefer Butterfinger bars? The gals at Six Sisters have the recipe that you need. U Create Crafts has yet another version with mini Snickers bars.
- Jello popcorn balls. Orange jello turns popcorn balls a delightful shade of orange that is ideal for fall treats. Jodi of Pleasant Home also shares her simple fall packaging for her orange jello popcorn balls.
- Popcorn brains. Creep everyone out with surprisingly easy popcorn balls that look a lot like brains with a recipe from Lorraine of Not Quite Nigella.
- Popcorn owls. Transform simple popcorn balls into sweet little owls with candy corn, orange slices, mini M&Ms, and shoestring black licorice. Grab the recipe from Taste of Home.
- Pumpkin popcorn balls. How cute is it to make popcorn balls that look just like little pumpkins? You can use orange Jello to turn the popcorn orange, Tootsie rolls to make the stems, and green Tootsie rolls, Starbursts, or Laffy Taffy to make the leaves. Check out the recipe at Somewhat Simple.
Halloween Popcorn Balls
- 3 Delicious Ways to Make Popcorn Balls : Good Cook
Recipes for caramel, trail mix, and jalapeno kettle corn popcorn balls as well as tips for making perfect popcorn balls.
- the Easiest Popcorn Balls EVER!
The easiest Popcorn Balls you will ever make. Only 3 ingredients and they take minutes to make.
Halloween Popcorn Packaging Ideas
Once you've settled on a Halloween popcorn recipe (or two), think about how you want to package your goodies for the upcoming holiday. Here are just a few ideas to get you started.
- Silver pails or Mason jars tied with Halloween ribbons. Plain pails and jars and seasonal ribbons are readily available at any craft store.
- Plastic bag hands. You can't go wrong with the classic plastic bag hand packaging for any sort of Halloween snack mix. Look for disposable gloves that are transparent so that you can see the treats inside. Check out a fun popcorn plastic bag hand idea from Yummy Healthy Easy.
- "Ghostly grub" and other fun labels. There are tons of free printable labels for virtually every holiday and event imaginable from numerous generous bloggers. Halloween is no exception. Jenny of Bloom Designs Online has a fun set of lunch / snack / dessert printables for Halloween, including ghostly grub complete with an ingredients list.
- Monster containers. Better Homes and Gardens has a fun idea for transforming old snack containers or other small jars with lids into monsters.
- Colored paper cones. If you have scrapbook paper on hand, you can whip up some quick paper cones for your Halloween popcorn in no time. This is a great option for serving snacks at parties or other occasions where you don't need containers with tops. Check out an example at Less Cake More Frosting.
More Fall Popcorn Recipes
- Caramel apple popcorn balls. What could be better than combining caramel apple flavor with popcorn? This is a perfect option for those who love sweet / salty desserts. Lindsey of Today's Mama has the recipe.
- Fall themed jello colored popcorn. Take the previously mentioned jello idea to the next level and use red, orange, and green varieties of jello to create a fall colored popcorn bowl. Check it out at The House of Smiths.
- Maple crunch popcorn. Maple and pecans are a fantastic fall flavor combination. Get the recipe from Taste of Home.
- Pumpkin glazed popcorn. In case pumpkin spiced wasn't enough, check out Annemarie's recipe for pumpkin glazed popcorn at Real Food Real Deals.
- Pumpkin spice popcorn. If you can't get enough of pumpkin treats in the fall, a pumpkin spice popcorn recipe is a great option. Not surprisingly, as this flavor is so popular these days, there are tons of variations on the popcorn recipe. Start with options from Wine and Glue and A Blossoming Life. If you want to take it up a notch, add white chocolate and caramel with Cooking Classy or maple with Family Fresh Cooking.
- Truffle bacon popcorn. Fall is an ideal time to pull out all of your favorite savory popcorn recipes. Heidi of Foodie Crush has a fabulous savory recipe with truffle salt, bacon, butter, and Parmesan cheese, and she shares some of her other favorite savory popcorn recipes.
Caramel Popcorn Recipe
Are you looking for more fall recipes? Check out these great options from the author.
- 3 Ingredient Recipes: Slow Cooker Crock Pot Dinners
Are you looking for easy, healthy dinners with just a few ingredients? Check out these slow cooker crock pot recipes!
- Easy Homemade Hot Chocolate Recipes
Hot chocolate is one of the best drinks to enjoy during the cooler months of the year. Consider making a classic mug of hot cocoa or experimenting with a frozen, white chocolate, or Mexican hot chocolate at home.
- Recipes for Toasted Baked Pumpkin Seeds: Sweet, Spicy, and More
Are you finished your Halloween pumpkins? Toasted or baked pumpkin seeds are easy to prepare and make a great healthy snack. They can also be used in a variety of recipes.
© 2014 Rose Clearfield
Rose Clearfield (author) from Milwaukee, Wisconsin on January 31, 2015:
That's great, kittythedreamer! Enjoy!
Kitty Fields from Summerland on January 28, 2015:
Really awesome ideas for popcorn in the fall...must try some of these when Fall rolls back around! Thanks for sharing, always enjoy your ideas!
Rose Clearfield (author) from Milwaukee, Wisconsin on October 19, 2014:
It's great to hear that, Better Yourself! Enjoy the new recipes. :)
Better Yourself from North Carolina on October 13, 2014:
I love popcorn and these ideas have just taken one of my favorite snack foods to another level! So many great and festive ideas for me to try and would make yummy fall gifts as well! Great hub, thanks for sharing!
Rose Clearfield (author) from Milwaukee, Wisconsin on September 04, 2014:
Thanks so much, Suzie! Glad that you enjoyed!
Suzanne Ridgeway from Dublin, Ireland on September 04, 2014:
Love all the different and varied options . . . .No idea there were SO MANY! Caramel probably sounds the best for me but the one with a twix coating . . . .Yum!! As always, your input, research, pics and videos are well thought out! ++++ all the way!!
Rose Clearfield (author) from Milwaukee, Wisconsin on September 03, 2014:
Thanks, Thelma! So glad that you liked this article. Enjoy your caramel popcorn. :)
Thelma Alberts from Germany on September 03, 2014:
Wow! Those look so delicious. I have to try making those caramel popcorn. I love that. Thanks for sharing this awesome hub.