Slightly crunchy vegetables add to the flavor of this dish.
It is important to chop your meat and vegetables approximately the same size to assure even cooking.
To save on prep time, you may chop the vegetables a day ahead and store them separately in airtight containers in the refrigerator. You may also prepare the meat a day ahead with the marinade and store in an air tight container in the refrigerator. However, it is not necessary to marinate the meat overnight to receive the full flavor.
Stirring the food while it is cooking is important to keep it from burning.
- 1 pound Beef Stir Fry strips or Top Round Steak, Cut in 1 to 3 inch strips
- 1 teaspoon Sesme Oil
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
- Dash crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 medium green bell pepper, cut thin 1 to 3 inch strips
- 1 medium red bell pepper, Cut thin 1 to 3 inch strips
- 1 medium yellow bell pepper, cut thin 1 to 3 inch strips
- 1 large onion, Cut thin 1 to 3 inch strips
- 1 1/2 teaspoons garlic, minced
- 2 to 3 tablespoons olive 0il
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
Serves 4 people
Yummy Beef Pepper Steak Stir Fry!
- Cut beef from 1 to 3 inches long--no thicker than 1/4 inch. Thickness of the beef is important. Thinner thickness makes the beef tender when stir frying.
- Combine the brown sugar, cornstarch, soy sauce, sesame oil and red pepper flakes in a medium bowl. Stir all ingredients together until mixed well. Add beef strips and stir to coat the beef. Cover bowl and set aside to allow the beef to marinate while preparing the vegetables.
- Cut the bell peppers and onion into approximately 1 to 3 inch strips about 1/4 inch thick or less.
- Mince 2 to 3 cloves of garlic to equal 1 1/2 tsp. You may use minced garlic that come in a jar.
- Cooking Utensils, use at least a 12" nonstick fry pan with 2 or 3 inch sides or a Wok. If using a Wok, you will probably have to cook the meat and bell peppers in two batches.
- Heat pan over medium high heat and add 1 1/2 tsp of Olive Oil and 1 teaspoon of garlic and stir together for a few seconds (it is alright for garlic to turn brown but not black) do not remove the garlic-- add all of the onion. May add a little more olive oil if needed. Continue stirring frequently until the onions look translucent but are not limp. Remove from pan and put in a large bowl.
- Add 2 teaspoons of Olive Oil to the pan and stir. May add a little more olive oil as needed. Add the bell peppers and stir frequently until done but a little crunchy. Add to the bowl of onions.
- Add 1/2 tsp of garlic and 2 teaspoons of Olive Oil to the pan and stir do not remove garlic. You may add more olive oil if needed. Add the meat reserving the marinade left in the bowl for later (there will not be much left). Cook and stir meat until the color changes from red to light gray. Note: Remove meat promptly once it turns gray so it will not over cook an become tough. You may add a little more Olive Oil if needed. When meat is done, add the bowl of onions, bell peppers, reserve marinade and stir together. Cover and simmer over low heat for 2 minutes and serve over rice.
RTalloni on November 29, 2012:
Your beef pepper steak stir fry recipe looks yum and easy to make. Thanks for sharing it here!