My Passion is baking mouthwatering Sweet Treats & Desserts. I am a graduated Pastry Chef and I love to make new recipes everyday!
Why the Mississippi Cake?
Since my adolescence my grandmother used to make this delicious cake for me. When I grew older she taught me the tips & tricks on how to make the best Mississippi Cake ever to let my children enjoy it one day.
Whenever I think about this delicious cake my tummy opens up and wants it, no matter the time in the day. It is one of my favorite cakes I ever made (and I made a lot of cakes in my life & I will make a lot more for sure).
I hope you will enjoy to make & to eat this delicious chocolate cake!
The Mississippi Cake is the type of cake that breaks the routine & creates a special environment, it's a unique experience. It is the perfect self-made gift for your partners' Birthday or to make the day a bit more special.
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
Serves up to 12 people
Who Invented the Mississippi Cake?
It's always fun to know the history behind the delicious desserts that are normal to us nowadays. Creative individuals that are searching for new and delicious recipes will always invent the most amazing desserts.
The Mississippi cake was invented in the South of the United States, near the Mississippi River. The cake was named after the Mississippi River because the cake has the same color as the mud in the Mississippi River. This chocolate cake was baked for the 1st time in 1957 by Joanna Droeger in San Francisco.
She called it the Mississippi Mud Pie, and the name stuck ever since.
People made a lot of variations of the Mississippi Cake. I share with you the best one. I love to be creative while baking & I encourage you to be creative and experiment while baking!
If you want, you can add extra ingredients in the batter to customize the cake how you like it the most. You can add more ingredients in the batter, or you can make a chocolate/whipped cream frosting on top. I will share with you the recipe for the chocolate/whipped cream frosting below.
For the batter:
- 40ml/ 1,3 oz coffee
- 175g / 6,17 ounces butter
- 4 eggs
- 275g/ 9,7 ounces sugar
- 15g/ 0,52 ounces vanilla sugar
- 50g/ 1,7 ounces cacao powder
- 50g/ 1,7 ounces dark chocolate
- 250g/ 8,81 ounces flour
- 15g/ 0,52 ounces baking powder
- 500ml/ 16,9 oz water
Cream and chocolate frosting:
- 225g/ 7,9 ounces dark chocolate
- 250g/ 8,81 ounces whipped cream
- Preheat the oven on 160 degrees C/ 320 degrees F.
- First melt the chocolate & butter in a pan on low fire.
- Mix all the ingredients together in a big bowl with a mixer. Once mixed you can put the cake batter in your baking mold and put it in the preheated oven.
- Let it bake in the oven for about 45 minutes. When this time passed, you can try to stick a fork in the cake, if it's clean when you take it out the cake is ready, otherwise leave it some extra minutes in the oven.
- Once the cake is cooled down, you can dig in! Enjoy this delicious Mississippi cake.
- Don't forget to share your opinion about this mouthwatering chocolate cake in the Rating Section below!
Dark Chocolate & Whipped Cream Frosting
This cream & chocolate frosting is Super Easy to make!
What You Need:
250g/ 8,81 ounces whipped cream
225g/ 7,9 ounces dark chocolate
How to make it:
Melt the cream and the chocolate in a pan on low fire until it becomes thicker and keep stirring. Take the pan carefully off the fire and wait until it cools down.
Once the frosting is cooled down you can add it on top & on the sides of your Mississippi cake.
A Funny Unisex Shirt for the Baking Lovers
Did you enjoy to make & eat this Mississippi Cake?
Lady Dazy from UK on May 13, 2021:
I have not tried this cake , but it does look tasty.