Kaldereta, also spelled Caldereta is a famous Filipino dish, Originally adapted from the Spanish during their 300 year occupation of the Philippines. The name was derived from the spanish word “caldera”, which means cooking pot. This dish is usually made with beef or goat meat and sometimes duck but you can also use chicken or pork, some uses both but I prefer chicken. Below is an easy chicken recipe that calls for cheese and tomato sauce to make the sauce delicious. This dish is cooked with potatoes, onions and bell pepper. A very tasty and satisfying dish that goes well with steamed white rice. You can also add a bit of coconut milk for a creamy texture.
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
3 hours 45 min
- 1 Kg. Chicken, breast or thigh
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- to taste salt
- to taste pepper
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/4 cup white cane vinegar
- 2 pcs. onions
- 2 pcs. red bell pepper
- 1 pc. carrot
- 2 pcs. potatoes
- 1 small can tomato sauce
- 1 small can tomato paste
- 1 Tbsp. rock salt
- 1 Tbsp ground black pepper, ground
- 1 cup grated cheese
How to Cook
- Marinate chicken in soy sauce (use only 1/4 cup), salt, pepper and vinegar for 3 hours.
- Saute garlic, onions and bell pepper in a little oil.
- Add the marinated chicken pieces
- Add cubed carrots, potatoes, tomato sauce, tomato paste and the remaining 1/4 cup soy sauce.
- Add enough water to cover meat and simmer for about 30 to 40 minutes or until chicken is tender.
- Add salt and pepper
- When chicken is tender, add grated cheese
- Serve Caldereta with steamed white rice. Enjoy!
- MORE GREAT RECIPES HERE:
Check our recipe collection of famous Asian dishes here from Adobo to Curry, desserts and drinks.
Mass on January 15, 2018:
What kind of cheese do you use?
EC Mendoza from Philippines on November 05, 2017:
Hello Sandy, thank you for reading! Pcs means pieces, and kg means kilogram.
Sandy on November 04, 2017:
What does it mean when you have pcs for some of the ingredients. Also for the chicken what does kg mean? My daughter wants to make this for her boyfriends family who are Filipino.
ladybug on October 18, 2013:
I so miss calderita but no yaya in US thanks to your recipe I just made caldera and it starts to smell good now!!!
filipinofoods (author) from Philippines on October 04, 2012:
Yes, this is good for pulutan. :)
MM Del Rosario from NSW, Australia on December 29, 2011:
my favourite calderata is when it is goat meat, but chicken is fine. thanks for the recipe calderata is good for pulutan especially with san miguel beer.
EC Mendoza from Philippines on November 30, 2011:
Delicious! I like spicy caldereta so I add a couple of red chili pepper. :)
asmaiftikhar from Pakistan on November 24, 2011:
Mondkill yum yum recipe's.Thanks for sharing.