Annie is a student who loves to do a lot of stuff in her free time. Those are reading books, arts, craft, writing, music, and basketball.
It was my mom's birthday and I totally forgot to bake a cake. I had no idea what to do when in my spare time, I searched for an easy-to-bake cake recipe. I found the perfect on online, and added a few twists to it. With my few twists in the recipe, the perfect birthday cake was made. It had to be eggless because certain people at home don't eat eggs.
Since the cake seemed too plain, I decided to make apple compote to serve on top, like icing. It was healthy and perfect.
I totally forgot to bake a cake for my mom's birthday
|Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
Serves four people one batch of cake
For the Vanilla cake:
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour, sieved
- 1/2 teaspoon + 1 pinch baking powder, sieved
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda, sieved
- 1 pinch salt, sieved
- 6 tablespoons sugar, granualted
- 3 1/2 tablespoons oil, preferably olive
- 1/2 cup milk
- 3/4 tablespoon lemon juice, fresh
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the Apple compote:
- 2 apples, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 cup orange juice, fresh
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice, fresh
- 1/4 cup brown sugar, granulated or powdered
- 2-3 scrapes nutmeg
- to taste salt
- Preheat the oven to 170 C (338 F).
- Mix the dry and wet ingredients separately.
- Add the dry ingredients into the wet. Gently mix until combined.
- Grease a small to medium sized tray (I used two ceramic bowls). You can even use cupcake liners (makes half a dozen cupcakes).
- Scoop into tray, bowl or liners and bake. Check every ten minutes with a toothpick. Bake until the toothpick comes clean without any batter sticking to it.
- For the compote, place a sauce pot on medium-high heat.
- Add the apples, orange juice, lemon juice, brown sugar and nutmeg.
- Simmer the ingredients over medium heat until the apples are tender and the juices are thickened to a thin syrup. Don't forget to stir once in a while.
- Remove off heat and season with a pinch of salt.
Hope you guys enjoy baking this cake. And this recipe will be here for those who forget to bake cakes for the birthdays of very close people.
© 2020 Anicham Pugal
Anya Ali from Rabwah, Pakistan on November 30, 2020:
Thank you! Helpful hub.