In this article, I will give recipes for famous snacks from my home country ( Nigeria) and be prepared for a wide palette of taste.
Recipes for Nigerian snacks like-
1. Chin Chin
2. Puff puff.( See a trend heh)
4. Nigerian pancakes.
Chin Chin can be shaped like cubes or like short sticks
First of- Chin Chin.
Chin Chin is a deep fried snack and can be hard or soft. Whenever I make chin Chin I make it in bulk so that if I am running late to a class or have friends over I use it.
So here are the ingredients-
∆. 400 grams of plain flour.
∆. 120g granulated Sugar.
∆. 1/4 Teaspoon Baking powder ( don't add this if you want a hard Chin Chin ).
∆. 1 Nutmeg ( powdered with a blender ).
∆. 1 Egg ( don't add this if you want a hard Chin Chin).
∆. 185ml Whole or Diluted Evaporated Milk ( this is optional ).
∆. 40g Butter.
∆. 1/4 Teaspoon Salt.
Now the preparation-
1. In a clean bowl, add your flour, baking powder, salt, sugar and nutmeg. Mix thoroughly and then add your egg and milk.
2 . Here, it becomes sticky but don't worry it is time to add our butter. Mix the dough until it becomes non sticky. If you feel that along the line you made a mistake and the dough is still too sticky then add a tiny bit of flour. After kneeding the dough roll it up in a ball form and leave to rest for 20 minutes.
3. After 20 minutes, sprinkle flour on a clean, flat surface and roll out the dough on the surface. Use a rolling pin ( or if you have a bottle, wash the surface, pat dry and use that instead ).
4. Now, that you are sure you have put those muscles to work and kneaded that dough, it is now time for the fun part. Use a clean knife and cut the dough into rows and columns. Each piece should look like a small square. Repeat this step with each roll out.
5. Piling up the baby squares of dough is okay as long as it doesn't start to join together. Now bring out your clean deep pan or pot. Heat up the pan on your stove and pour your oil. You can use vegetable, olive or groundnut oil, but do not use sunflower seed oil because it soaks your Chin Chin and just ruins it.
6. Heat up the oil to a very high temperature and pour in a medium portion of your baby squares dough. Now please reduce your stove to aalower setting so that your Chin Chin doesn't burn. Leave them in the hot oil and only stir when it doesn't stick to each other. Fry the Chin Chin until it becomes a brownish-gold color. Bring out your Chin Chin from the oil and pour them in a strainer to drain out any excess oil residue.
6. Now your Chin Chin is ready to serve hot or cool after you have put them in the fridge. I enjoy my Chin Chin with some fried beef or steak and also a chilled soda.
The next is Puff Puff.
Puff Puff is also a deep fried snack.
When I am at home with my family I always make Puff Puff for breakfast. We take Puff Puff with chocolate milkshake. Puff Puff is round, smooth and soft inside. It is a staple snack in Nigeria.
I am going to give the recipe that I use for my family of five, here it is-
∆. 4 cups of plain flour.
∆. 2 tablespoons of active yeast.
∆. A small diced onion.
∆. 2 and a half tablespoons of sugar.
∆. 1 teaspoon of salt.
∆. 2 eggs.
∆. Pepper to taste.
1. Bring a clean and dry bowl and a clean spoon.
2. Pour your flour, then your onions, eggs, pepper, sugar and salt. Do not mix yet.
3. Pour the active yeast and add half a cup of warm water.
4. Now mix properly with the spoon.
5. The consistency of the Puff Puff should be a little bit thicker than that of a pancake batter.
6. Cover the batter and leave to rise.
7. Once risen, put your pan on the stove and add your desired oil.
8. Ensure the oil is deep fry standard and heat very well.
9. Dip your hand in water ( this is so that it doesn't stick ), form a cup like shape with your hand and scoop the batter.
10. Using your hand in that shape, start frying in portions. They later form balls because of the hot oil.
11. Reduce the stove setting, so that it doesn't burn. Turn over each ball of Puff Puff and fry until brown.
12. Fry the remaining batter in this pattern.
13. Serve as desired.
Buns is a bit crusty on the outside but fluffy inside. It should not be confused with the Puff Puff, which is softer and fluffier.
Preparing buns is similar to preparing Puff Puff in a way. I remember in primary school, during breaks I usually buy bons and zobo from the school's cafeteria.
Here are the ingredients-
- 250 g flour.
- 5 g sugar.
- 1 level teaspoonful baking powder.
- 1 level teaspoonful salt.
- 1 egg.
- 150 ml Milk(or as needed to form a thick batter) ..You can use water as a substitute.
- 1 tablespoon butter.
You have to make a thicker batter so that your buns will be round and perfect.
¶ In a clean bowl and the flour, sugar, salt, egg, baking powder, milk and butter.
¶. Mix thoroughly until thick and stretchy.
¶. Heat up the oil in a deep pan.
¶. Use your hand to form balls from the batter and then fry.
¶. Reduce the heat of the stove so that it doesn't burn.
¶. Fry until golden and serve.
Next Nigerian pancakes.
Let's be honest, regular pancakes are bland and boring even with the syrups. That's why in my country we spice things up and have pancakes without the syrups.
This is actually a very simple recipe and you sure won't mess this up.
So, ingredients here we go-
• 4 cups of plain flour
• 2 tablespoons of sugar
• 2 teaspoons of salt
• A small sized diced onion
• 3 eggs
• Pepper ( add more for spice )
• Milk ( optional )
• Flavor ( this is my personal modification )
Let's get started-
1. Add your flour, sugar, salt, onions, milk, eggs, flavor and pepper in a clean bowl and stir.
2. Add warm water and mix thoroughly until it becomes the standard pancake batter.
3. Heat up your pan and grease the pan. ( Add a bit more oil than regular greasing)
4. Make sure your stove is medium heat because a high flame would burn the outside and leave the inside raw and a low flame will make your pancake stick to the pan and scatter.
5. Pour a small amount of pancake batter into the pan and spread over the pan. Do this by starting from the middle of the pan then tilting the pan until evenly spread thin.
6. Flip your pancake and once it is light golden bring them out of the pan.
7. Fry the remaining batter with this pattern.
8. Serve as breakfast with chocolate milkshake or as side dish.