I am a pastry chef. My passion is baking mouthwatering sweet treats and desserts.
Where does the Victoria Sandwich Cake come from?
The Victoria Sandwich Cake is also known as the Victoria Sponge Cake and Victorian Cake. This delicious Sponge Cake is the typical British treat to eat while you sip your tea.
The Victoria Sponge Cake is a soft sponge cake filled with whipped cream, jam & fresh strawberries. It's usually cut into small pieces that look like sandwiches.
The Duchess of Bedford, Anna (1788-1861), a ladies-in-waiting of Queen Victoria (1819-1901), invented the High Tea.
She adopted the tea service format used in Europa at that time, She invited friends for a 5 o'clock meal in her rooms at Belvoir Castle. They enjoyed different treats, such as bread, small cakes, butter sandwiches, sweets and a lot of tea. It was directly a success.
Queen Victoria started to organize her own tea parties around the year 1855. The simple sponge cake was one of the favorites of the Queen. After her husband, Prince Albert, died in 1861, the Queen spent time in the Osborn House at the Isle of Wight. At this place the Sponge cake was named after Queen Victoria.
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
Serves up to 10 people
For the batter:
- 175g/ 6,17 ounces soft butter
- 175g/ 6,17 ounces flour
- 15g/ 0,52 ounces baking powder
- 175g/ 6,17 ounces brown sugar
- 3 eggs
For the filling:
- 50g/ 1,76 ounces raspberry or strawberry jam
- 300ml/ 10,14 oz whipped cream
- 16 fresh strawberries, cut in half
- powdered sugar, as decoration on top
- Preheat the oven on 180 degrees C / 356 degrees F. Grease 2 baking trays with melted butter, put baking paper on the bottom of the trays.
- Put the flour & baking powder in a big bowl and add the butter, sugar and eggs. Mix everything well until it's a smooth batter.
- Divide the batter evenly in the 2 baking trays and make the top flat. Bake the cakes about 25-30 minutes in the preheated oven until they are grown, gold brown and spring back when you press softly on them.
- If you use metal baking trays: Let the cakes cool down for about 5 minutes in the trays and take them out of the trays after this time. Let the cakes cool down more on a grill.
- If you use silicon trays: Let the cakes cooldown until they are fully cooled down. After they are (almost) room temperature you can take the cakes out of the trays.
- Put the jam, whipped cream & half strawberries on top of one of the cakes and put the other cake on top of it.
- Sprinkle the powdered sugar over the cake to give it that beautiful look.
- Enjoy this delicious Victoria Sandwich Cake!