A Chef & World Traveler That Has Been Lucky Enough To Taste And Cook With Some Of The Best Ingredients Around The Globe. Time To Share.
History of Crab Ragoon
While It’s not known exactly where this now considered "Chinese” dish originated, there are a few theories. It's important to note, that cheese, in this case cream cheese, was not available in Chinese or Southeast Asia. This alone eliminates Asia from the list.The founder of Trader Vic's Tiki restaurant Victor Bergeron is said to be the originator of this delicious deep fried dish. It first appeared on the Asian-inspired restaurants menu in the mid 1950's.
Real Crab vs. Imitation Crab Meat
The main ingredient in imitation crab meat is a fish paste called surimi.
Surimi is made from pollock fish with additional fillers and additives such as sugar, egg whites, starch, and crab flavoring.
Imitation crab meat has a high amount of sodium. For every ounce of imitation crab meat there is 238.33 milligrams of sodium. This means 6 ounces of imitation crab meat contains nearly a full recommended daily sodium intake in one meal. The daily recommended limit for sodium intake is 1,500-2,300 milligrams. A high sodium diet increases risk of stroke, kidney disease, and high blood pressure So there's fish scraps, carbohydrates, and sugar.
My preference is real crab meat
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
- 24 ounces crab meat (fresh or canned), drained
- 16 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 cup sour cream
- 3 teaspoons Worchestershire sauce
- 8 each green onions or scallions, thin sliced
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 each large clove garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon red onion, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon low sodium soy sauce
- 2-3 packs wontons, fried or baked
- to taste black pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a food processor, add the cream cheese, Worcestershire, red onion, green onion, garlic, lemon juice, sour cream, and black pepper. Pulse thoroughly until combined and remove from processor into a mixing bowl. Add the crab meat and mix well.
- In a large oven-safe casserole dish, add the crab filling. Bake for 30 minutes until gold brown crust begins to form and bubbling. Remove crab dip from oven and let it rest at room temperature. Serve with fried or baked wonton chips. Note: If baking the wonton chips, lay on greased on non stick sprayed baking pan, bake for 10 minutes at 350 degrees or until golden brown and crispy.