Healthy and Delicious
Ever go to a party and enjoy a dish that you HAVE to get the recipe for? This is one of those recipes. I love it because it makes me want to eat lots of broccoli!
This dish is so versatile because you can take it to a backyard bar-b-que or a casual sit-down dinner with friends. It can be made in advance so there's no last minute rushing.
If you're new to cooking or a Martha Stewart wannabe, you'll love this great recipe!
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise, I use Hellman's light
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 6 strips of bacon, cooked crisp, crumbled
- 1 head broccoli, bite sized pieces
- 1/4 cup sunflower seeds
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries, you could also use raisins
- 2 green onions, finely chopped
How to Make It
- Combine the first 3 ingredients...this is the dressing...in a bowl and mix well with a whisk.
- Once combined, add the rest of the ingredients to the bowl and mix well. While it can be eaten right away, it tastes best if it marinates for at least 30 minutes.
- For another variation, instead of broccoli florets, you could also use broccoli slaw.
- Note: If you substitute bacon bits from a bottle for the strips, it might taste a bit more "bacony." The strips give it a more subtle taste of bacon that I prefer.
Carol Pazanin on November 20, 2017:
The first time I made this for a family function I got so many requests for the recipe! It was a hit! My sister-in-law just texted me for the recipe for Thanksgiving dinner! Thank you for sharing!
Cynthia Lyerly (author) from Georgia on October 08, 2015:
Neat twist. I'll have to try that!
Debbie on October 06, 2015:
This recipe is one of the most requested salads ever to anywhere i go. Use raisins instead of cranberries and crumbled walnuts instead of sun flower seers but both are great. I also add some cabbage to it. One of the best
Cynthia Lyerly (author) from Georgia on June 03, 2013:
I agree. At gatherings, I always try to bring something healthy.
Ceres Schwarz on June 03, 2013:
This recipe for broccoli salad looks really good. The image of the salad really makes it look delicious. It's also great how this recipe is also healthy aside from being tasty.
Cynthia Lyerly (author) from Georgia on June 02, 2013:
Let me know how it turns out. Love to hear your variations as well.
Grace-Wolf-30 from England on June 02, 2013:
Hmm, this sounds really tasty. Will be trying this for my tea some time at work. Thank you