In winter (or on any cold day!) we automatically look for food that can keep us warm and filled up while the weather rages outside.
This recipe will give you a healthy dose of protein, is high in legumes and fibre, rich in nutrients and rates high on the "more-ish" scale!
A beautifully balanced meal, eat this on its own if you are on a low carb diet, or add potatoes, rice, samp or corn if you aren't!
Ground Lean Beef Mince
Chilli Con carne ingredients - Use Fresh or Organic Where possible!
- 1kg Lean Beef Mince (Lamb Mince works too!)
- 2 Whole Carrots
- 1 Clove of Garlic
- 1 tin or 200g Butter or Kidney Beans
- 2 Peppadews - diced
- 1 Onion - chopped
- 1 Red / Yellow pepper
- 1 tin or 200g Chick Peas
- Half teaspoon Cayenne pepper
- Half teaspoon Salt
- Qtr Teaspoon Pepper
- Qtr Teaspoon Coriander
- Qtr teaspoon Cinnamon
- Qtr Teaspoon Turmeric
- 1 tablespoon Apple Cider Vinegar
- Half Fresh lemon, Squeezed
Cooking Time for Chilli Con Carne
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
Serves 4 - 6 people
Fresh Garlic Cloves
Cooking Instructions for Chilli Con Carne
- Add 2 tablespoons of Coconut Oil to your Deep pot or saucepan and melt to cover entire base
- Add chopped onion and garlic and saute until transparent - don't overcook!
- Add ground beef mince and brown, you can add 1 cup of water during this process to mix the meat completely
- Once meat has browned, add beans and chickpeas, carrots, peppadews and spices and simmer together for 20 mins.
- If you'd like to add rice, start cooking your rice ( I recommend Basmati) when you add the vegetables so that the two dishes are ready at the same time.
Tips & Hints
It's really important to get the best meat possible with as low a fat content as possible. "lean" beef mince shouldn't have more than 10% fat.
If you like spicy food, add fresh chopped chillies or chilli powder
Adding a few mint leaves can add a lovely twist and works very well with lamb mince
If you'd like to decrease the carbohydrate value, leave out the carrots and one of the legumes (chick peas and beans)
You can replace the beef with soy mince if you are a vegetarian