Certified Holistic Wellness & Nutrition Coach Specializing in Autoimmune Health
Chocolate Sweet Potato Cake
I also like to call this dessert "dont-tell-my-husband(or kids!)-there's-vegetables-in-the-cake", on second thought, maybe that's a little too long. This is such a delicious, incredibly cakey treat, no one would ever suspect that the main ingredient is sweet potatoes!
About 6 months ago I was working on eliminating wheat from my diet, because it came to my attention that it was one of my food triggers for arthritis flare ups. I was finding it super difficult to find a recipe that would satisfy my sweet tooth WITHOUT wheat and refined sugars! Most of the almond flour/coconut flour recipes came out too dense, so I was on a mission to come up with something delicious and on the lighter side. So if you are gluten free, paleo, or keto.. this is a guilt free treat for you that you definitely must try!
I definitely recommend using as many organic and locally sourced ingredients as you can, for a more health conscious approach.
For containing no wheat, this cake is suprisingly light and cake-like. This recipe is also super versatile, you could add nuts into the cake batter, or on top. It would be equally delicious to even add shredded coconut into the melted chocolate topping. This cake is delicious as is, but I encourage you to be creative to make it your own!
I keep it in the refrigerate until the chocolate is set and hard, I think it is best served this way. I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as I have!
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
1 hour 10 min
- 1/2 large sweet potato, boiled and mashed
- 1/2 cup organic creamy almond butter
- 1/4 cup locally sourced honey
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa, or raw cacao powder
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- flakey sea salt
- Once mashed sweet potato has thoroughly cooled, place all ingredients into a blender (wet ingredients first, except coconut oil, salt, and chocolate chips) and blend just combined and smooth.
- Bake at 450 for 30-40 minutes - in an oiled 8x8 pan
- Let cool for 15 minutes, then microwave chocolate chips (of your choosing!) and coconut oil. Microwave for 30 seconds, and stir until all melted.
- Pour and spread over cake. Sprinkle with flakey sea salt (or nuts), and refrigerate until set. Store covered in the refrigerator.
This content is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge and is not meant to substitute for formal and individualized advice from a qualified professional.
© 2021 Sienna
Jennifer C on January 06, 2021:
Wow this sounds so delicious! And healthy too! I will have to try this one. Thanks! I can never get my kids to eat sweet potatoes.