Steamed meatball is pretty common dim sum food. It can be made of beef, chicken, fish, shrimp or squid. My kid's favorite is steamed pork balls. They are soft, wonderful and flavorful. Fixing steamed meatballs at home are generally very easy. This recipe is for steamed pork balls but you can substitute the ground pork with your favorite meat. What you need is ground pork, shiitake mushrooms, spirng onions and water chestnut.
I love to add water chestnut to the meatballs mixture. It will add some nice crunchy texture to the dim sum. Shiitake mushroom gives nice earthy flavor and add more body to the meatballs.
This meatballs are great appetizer or part of a complete meals. For truly Chinese flavors, steam and serve it in a small dim sum basket. Enjoy it with soy sauce or your favorite dipping sauce.
Please Rate This Chinese Steamed Pork Balls Recipe
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
6 - 8 Servings
- 3/4 lbs pork, ground
- 1/2 tsp fresh ginger, minced
- 3 spring onions, chopped
- 5 water chestnut, finely chopped
- 4 dried shiitake mushrooms, soaked
- 2 tsp cornstarch
- 1 1/2 tsp Chinese rice wine
- 1 tsp sugar
- 2 tbsp light soy sauce
- 1 tsp dark soy sauce
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 tbsp canola oil
How to Fix
- Soak the shiitake mushroom in warm water for about 20 minutes. Drain and chop into fine pieces
- In a mixing bowl, combine pork, mushroom, water chestnut, spring onions, cornstarch, sugar, light and dark soy sauce, cooking oil and salt. Mix thoroughly.
- Form the pork mixture into meatballs about 1-inch in diameter or as you desired.
- Put the meatballs on small dim sum steamer/bamboo steamer.
- Prepare the steamer.
- Steam the steamer over boiling water for 20 minutes or until done
- Remove from the steamer and serve it soy sauce or hot chili sauce.
- Chinese Dim Sum Chicken Congee Recipe (Gai Juk)
- Chinese Dim Sum Beijing Flower Roll Recipe (Hua Juan)
- Lotus Root Pancake Recipe - Chinese Dim Sum Dish
- Chinese Dim Sum Turnip Cake Recipe (Low Bok Gow)
minnow on March 21, 2020:
making them today ;)
Angie Yap on March 01, 2020:
I like your meatball recipe thank you for the recipe
Michael on September 23, 2014:
Looks like a good recipe. The picture appears show cilantro or perhaps spinach, so that would probably be a good addition as well as maybe 5-spice.
jojokaya (author) from USA on June 04, 2012:
Derek James from South Wales on April 04, 2012:
Very nice pork balls, jojokaya. Thay are a must try meal. voted up and useful. Thanks for the recipe.